the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #1951 - ἐπιλέγομαι
- to say besides
- to surname
- to choose for
- to choose for one's self
Middle voice from G1909 and G3004
ἐπιλέγω: (present passive participle ἐπιλεγόμενος); 1 aorist middle participle ἐπιλεξάμενος;
1. to say besides (cf. ἐπί, D. 4) (Herodotus, et al.); to surname (Plato, legg. 3, p. 700 b.): in passive John 5:2 (Tdf. τό λεγομένη), unless the meaning to name (put a name upon) be preferred here; cf. ἐπονομάζω.
2. to choose for (Herodotus and following; the Sept.); middle to choose for oneself: Acts 15:40 (2 Samuel 10:9; Herodotus 3, 157; Thucydides 7, 19; Diodorus 3, 73 (74); 14, 12; Josephus, Antiquities 4, 2, 4, and others).
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
ἐπι -λέγω ,
[in LXX chiefly for H977;]
1. to say in addition (Hdt.).
2. to call by name, to call: John 5:2.
3. to choose; mid., to choose for oneself: Acts 15:40.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
For this verb in its original meaning cf. P Leid W vi. 25 (ii/iii A.D.) ἐπιλέγων τὸ ὄνομα, ";insuper pronuntians nomen."; The sense of ";choose,"; as in Acts 15:40, appears in P Petr II. 40(a).16 (iii/B.C.) (= Witkowski.2, p. 41) καὶ οἱ [κ ]υνηγοὶ ἐπιλελεγμένοι εἰ [σὶν οἱ ] μέλ [λο ]ντες παραγενέσθ [αι με ]τὰ τοῦ στρατηγοῦ, P Hib I. 78.12 (B.C. 244–3) ἐὰν ἐκ τοῦ Ὀξυρυγ [χ ]ίτου ἐπιλέγωνται, ";if people are being chosen from the Oxyrhynchite nome,"; P Oxy IX. 1210.4 (i/B.C.—i/A.D.) ἐπιλελεγμένων ὑπὸ τῶν γονέων εἰς γηροβοσκίαν ἀφ᾽ ὧν ἔχουσι υἱῶν, ";men chosen by the parents from their sons to support them in old age"; (Ed.). See also OGIS 383.70 (mid. i/B.C.) θεραπείαν τε ἀνέγλειπτον καὶ ἱερεῖς ἐπιλέξας σὺν πρεπούσαις ἐσθῆσι Περσικῶι γένει κατέστησα, and for ἐπίλεκτος, which is fairly frequent in the LXX, cf. ib. 48.14 (iii/B.C.) εἶτα ] καὶ ἐψηφίσαν [το ] ἐξ ἐπιλέκτων ἀνδρῶν τὴν βουλὴν [καὶ τὰ ] δικαστή [ρια αἱρεῖσ ]θαι, and P Par 63.21, .196 (B.C. 165) with reference to ";picked"; troops.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.