Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Smith's Bible Dictionary
Jon'athan. That is, "the gift of Jehovah", the eldest son of King Saul. (B.C. about 1095-1056). He was a man of great strength and activity. 2 Samuel 1:23. He was also famous as a warrior, 1 Chronicles 12:2, as is shown by the courage he showed, in attacking the garrison of the Philistines, in company with his armor-bearer only, slaying twenty men and putting an army to flight. 1 Samuel 14:6-16. During the pursuit, Jonathan, who had not heard of the rash curse, 1 Samuel 14:24, which Saul invoked on any one who ate before the evening, tasted the honey which lay on the ground. Saul would have sacrificed him; but the people interposed in behalf , of the hero of that great day, and Jonathan was saved. 1 Samuel 14:24-45.
The chief interest of Jonathan's career is derived , from the friendship with David, which began on the day of David's return, from the victory over the champion of Gath, and continued till his death. Their last meeting was in a forest of Ziph, during Saul's pursuit of David. 1 Samuel 23:16-18. From this time forth, we hear no more till the battle of Gilboa. In that battle, he fell. 1 Samuel 31:2; 1 Samuel 31:8. (B.C. 1056). His ashes were buried first at Jabesh-gilead, 1 Samuel 31:13, but were afterward, removed with those of his father to Zelah in Benjamin. 2 Samuel 21:12. The news of his death occasioned the celebrated elegy of David. He left a son, Mephibosheth. See Mephibosheth.
1. A nephew of David. 2 Samuel 21:21; 1 Chronicles 20:7. He engaged in single combat with, and slew, a gigantic Philistine of Gath. 2 Samuel 21:21. (B.C. 1018).
2. The son of Abiathar, the high priest, is the last descendant of Eli, of whom we hear anything. 2 Samuel 15:36; 2 Samuel 17:15-21; 1 Kings 1:42-43. (B.C. 1023).
3. One of David's heroes. 2 Samuel 23:32; 1 Chronicles 11:34.
4. The son or descendant of Gershom, the son of Moses. Judges 18:30. See Micah. (B.C. about 1425).
5. One of the Bene-Adin, (that is, sons of Adin). Ezra 8:6.
6. A priest, the son of Asahel, in the time of Ezra. Ezra 10:15. (B.C. 459).
7. A priest, of the family of Melieu. Nehemiah 12:14.
8. One of the sons of Kareah, and brother of Johanan. Jeremiah 40:8. (B.C. 587).
9. Son of Joiada, and his successor in the high priesthood. Nehemiah 12:11; Nehemiah 12:22-23. (B.C. before 332).
10. Father of Zechariah, a priest, who blew the trumpet, at the dedication of the wall. Nehemiah 12:35.
11. 1 Esdras 8:32. See Jonathan, 6. (B.C. 446).
These files are public domain.
Smith, William, Dr. Entry for 'Jonathan'. Smith's Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/sbd/j/jonathan.html. 1901.