Consider helping today!
CHAPTER 22 Further judgments
1. Concerning theft (Exodus 22:1-5 )
2. Concerning neglect in case of fire (Exodus 22:6 )
3. Concerning dishonesty (Exodus 22:7-15 )
4. Concerning immoralities and forbidden things (Exodus 22:16-20 )
5. Concerning oppression (Exodus 22:21-28 )
6. Concerning offerings to God (Exodus 22:29-31 )
These laws need no further comment; they are good and just. The wisdom of them is the wisdom from above. We call attention to Exodus 22:18 : “Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.” The nations with which Israel came in contact were given to the most satanic cults and the powers of Satan were manifested among them. Demoniacal possessions abounded, and witchcraft, sorceries, asking the dead, and other abominations were practised. Witchcraft and sorceries, communicating with the wicked spirits is therefore more than a possibility. It can be traced throughout the history of the human race and whenever nations ripened for judgment this form of evil became prominent. The female sex was then, as it is still the case, principally addicted to this sin. In our day it flourishes in spiritualism, Christian Science, theosophy, and other cults.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Gaebelein, Arno Clemens. "Commentary on Exodus 22". "Gaebelein's Annotated Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Fourth Week after Epiphany