Click to donate today!
The Chaldean armed men with horses and chariots shall carry terror and desolation into Philistia and its cities.
1. Before that Pharaoh smote Gaza] The main views as to the date of this prophecy are (a) that the ’Pharaoh ’is Necho, and that he captured Gaza about the time of his defeat of Josiah’s army at Megiddo (608 b.c.); (b) that the reference is to the same king, as having taken Gaza on his way back from his defeat at Carchemish (605 b.c.); (c) that the ’Pharaoh’ is Hophra (588-570 b.c.), and that he captured Gaza in the course of an expedition against Tyre and Sidon.
2. Waters.. out of the north] i.e. the Chaldean army.
4. Caphtor] the place of origin of the Philistines (see Deuteronomy 2:28; Amos 9:7), probably to be identified with Crete.
5. Baldness] in token of mourning: cp. Jeremiah 48:37. Cut thyself] see on Jeremiah 16:6.
6. The prayer of the Philistines.
7. Jere- miah’s reply.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Jeremiah 47". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34