the First Week of Advent
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #7613 - שְׂאֵת
1) elevation, exaltation, dignity, swelling, uprising
1a) dignity, exaltation, loftiness
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
3 uprising; — ׳שׂ absolute Genesis 4:7 +, construct Leviticus 13:28 +; suffix שְׂאֵתוֺ Job 13:11 +; (מִ)שֵּׂתוֺ Job 41:17; —
1 dignity Genesis 49:3 (dignity of first-born), Psalm 62:5, of Chaldeans Habakkuk 1:7; of God, his exaltation, loftiness Job 13:11; Job 31:23.
2 swelling, eruption, בְּעוֺר בֶּשָׂר Leviticus 13:2 ( + סַמַּחַת, בַּהֶרֶת ), compare Leviticus 14:56 (+ id.); also Leviticus 13:10 (twice in verse); Leviticus 13:19,28, הַנֶּגַע Leviticus 13:43 (all P).
3 uprising, Job 41:17 at his uprising the mighty are in dread.
4 Genesis 4:7 is dubious; — is there not acceptance ? ᵑ6ᵑ9 and others; forgiveness ᵑ7 Holz and others; uplifting of countenance, cheerfulness, Ew De Ke Di Kau.
שְׂאֵת pr. inf. fem. of the verb נָשָׂא (for שֶׂאֶת), with suff. שְׂאֵתִי, once contr. שֵׂתוֹ Job 41:17 (where other copies have שאתו).
(1) raising up, Job 41:17 lifting up, sc. of countenance, Genesis 4:7. See the root נָשָׂא No. 1, letter.
(2) eminence, a place rising up in the skin; hence any spot, Exodus 13:2, 10 Exodus 13:10, 19 Exodus 13:19 and even one where the skin is deeper. Compare verse Exodus 13:2 and Exodus 13:3, Exodus 13:4.
(3) excellency, majesty, Genesis 49:3; Job 13:11.
(4) a sentence, decree of a judge (compare מַשָּׂא No. 4, and נָשָׂא No. 1, letter f), Habakkuk 1:7. Others take it here to be pride.