the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #2532 - חֶמְדָּה
1) desire, that which is desirable (noun feminine)
2) pleasant, precious (adjective)
V) dmh (ההמד HhMD) - Desire: To want something that is pleasant out of desire or lust. KJV (21): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Piel) desire, covet, delight, pleasant, beauty, lust, delectable - Strongs: H2530 (חָמַד)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
(1) desire, regret. 2 Chronicles 21:20, בְּלֹא חֶמְדָּה “he departed regretted by no one.”
(2) that which is desired, delight. 1 Samuel 9:20; Daniel 11:37, חֶמְדַּת נָשִׁים “the delight of women;” this is to be understood, as the context shews it must, of some idol, especially worshipped by the Syrian women, such as Astarte, or Anaitis.
(3) pleasantness, excellence. אֶרֶץ חֶמְדָּה the pleasant land, Jeremiah 3:19; Ezekiel 26:12. כְּלֵי חֶמְדָּה precious jewels, 2 Chronicles 32:27, 36:10.