the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #2181 - זָנָה
1) to commit fornication, be a harlot, play the harlot
1a1) to be a harlot, act as a harlot, commit fornication
1a2) to commit adultery
1a3) to be a cult prostitute
1a4) to be unfaithful (to God) (figuratively)
1b) (Pual) to play the harlot
1c1) to cause to commit adultery
1c2) to force into prostitution
1c3) to commit fornication
1152) nz (זנ ZN) AC: Harvest CO: Mattock AB: ?: The pictograph z is a picture of an agricultural cutting implement such as the mattock or hoe. The n is a picture of a seed. Combined these mean "mattock of the seed". One of the many agricultural tools was a hoe or mattock. This implement had a wide blade for cutting a plant stalks at the roots. The crops were harvested for a supply of foods, which were stored in jars.
agm ) nzafm (מואזנ MWAZN) - Balance: A pair of scales used for weighing. From the ear as the place where balance is determined. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (16): balances - Strongs: H3976 (מֹאזְנַיִם), H3977 (מֹאזְנֵא)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect ׳ז Deuteronomy 31:16, זָָֽנְתָה Genesis 38:34 3t., etc.; Imperfect יִזְנֶ֯ה (Kt) Ezekiel 23:43; תִּזְנֶה Leviticus 19:29 4t.; וַתִּ֫זֶן Jeremiah 3:8; Ezekiel 23:5; תִּזְנִי Hosea 3:3; וַתִּזְנִי Jeremiah 3:6 (but read probably וַתִּזְנִי ׃וַתִּזֶן is not Aramaic form of 3 feminine singular, see Kö i. 540 Kau§ 47 g b) Ezekiel 16:15 4t.; וַתִּזְנִים Ezekiel 16:28; יִזְנוּ (Qr) Ezekiel 23:43; וַיִּזְנוּ Judges 8:27 4t.; תִּזְנֶינָה Hosea 4:13,14; וַתִּזְנֶינָה Ezekiel 23:3; Infinitive absolute זָנֹה Hosea 1:2; construct לִזְנוֺת Leviticus 20:5 3t.; לִזְנֹת Leviticus 20:6; suffix בִּזְנוֺתֵךְ Ezekiel 23:30; Participle זוֺנֶה Psalm 73:27; Ezekiel 6:9; זֹנֶה Hosea 4:15; plural זֹנִים Leviticus 17:7 3t.; זוֺנָה Deuteronomy 23:19 25t.; זֹנָה Leviticus 21:7 2t.; זוֺנוֺת Proverbs 29:3; זֹנוֺת Hosea 4:14 4t. —
1 be or act as a harlot, absolute Genesis 38:24 (J), Deuteronomy 22:21 (D), Leviticus 21:9 (H), Hosea 4:13,14; Amos 7:17; זונה + (ה)אשׁה Joshua 2:1; Joshua 6:22 (J), Leviticus 21:7 (H), Judges 11:1; Judges 16:1; Proverbs 6:26; Jeremiah 3:3; Ezekiel 16:30; Ezekiel 23:44; זוֺנָה Genesis 34:31; Genesis 38:15; Joshua 6:17,25 (all J), Deuteronomy 23:19; Leviticus 21:14 (H), Proverbs 7:10; Proverbs 23:27; Isaiah 23:15,16; Joel 4:3; Micah 1:7 (twice in verse); Ezekiel 16:31; נָשִׁים זֹנוֺת 1 Kings 3:16; ז(ו)נות 1 Kings 22:38; Proverbs 29:3; Hosea 3:3; Hosea 4:14; Ezekiel 16:33; בית זונה Jeremiah 5:7; commit fornication, man's act אל׳ז Numbers 25:1 (J); of woman's act Judges 19:2; of land given to harlotry Leviticus 19:29.
2 figurative of improper intercourse with foreign nations (religious reference sometimes involved) את׳ז Isaiah 23:17; אחרי Ezekiel 23:30; אל Ezekiel 16:26,28 (twice in verse); תַזְנוּתיה׳ז Ezekiel 23:43; Nahum 3:4; וַתִּזֶן אָהֳלָה תַחְתָּ֑י and Ohola committed fornication (whilst) under me Ezekiel 23:5 (compare Numbers 5:19).
3 of intercourse with other deities, considered as harlotry, sometimes involving actual prostitution, אחרי׳ז Exodus 34:15,16; Deuteronomy 31:16 (all J), Leviticus 17:7; Leviticus 20:5 (twice in verse) (all H), Judges 2:17; Judges 8:27,33; 1 Chronicles 5:25; Ezekiel 6:9; Ezekiel 20:30; after אֹבֹת, etc. Leviticus 20:6 (H), one's own heart & eyes Numbers 15:39 (H); especially of Israel, Judah, and Jerusalem under figure of lewd woman Ezekiel 16:15 (absolute) Ezekiel 16:16 (על במית), Ezekiel 16:17 (בְ׳ז), Ezekiel 23:3 (twice in verse); Ezekiel 23:19 (absolute), Jeremiah 3:1 (with accusative); Jeremiah 3:6; Jeremiah 3:8 (absolute); absolute elsewhere Hosea 2:7; Hosea 4:15; Isaiah 57:3; Psalm 106:39; as leaving ׳י, followed by מֵעַל Hosea 9:1; מאחרי Hosea 1:2 (twice in verse); מתחת Hosea 4:12; followed by מן alone Psalm 73:27; ז(ו)נה Jeremiah 2:20; Ezekiel 16:35,41; בית זונה Jeremiah 5:7; לִבָּם הַזּוֺנֶה their whorish heart Ezekiel 6:9.
4זונה of moral defection Isaiah 1:21.
Pu`al Perfect 3 masculine singular אַהֲרַיִךְ לֹא זוּנָּה fornication was not done (in going) after thee Ezekiel 16:34 (but strike out Co).
Hiph`il Perfect 2 masculine singular הִזְנֵיתָ Hosea 5:3; 3 plural חִזְנוּ Hosea 4:10,18; Exodus 34:16; Imperfect וַיֶּ֫זֶן 2 Chronicles 21:11; וַתַּזְנֶה 2 Chronicles 21:13; Infinitive absolute הַזְנֵה Hosea 4:18; construct הַזְנוֺת 2 Chronicles 21:13; suffix לְהַזְנוֺתָהּ Leviticus 19:29.
1 cause to commit fornication:
a. sexual Leviticus 19:29 (H).
b. religious Exodus 34:16 (J), 2 Chronicles 21:11,13 (twice in verse).
2 commit fornication:
a. sexual Hosea 4:10.
b. religious Hosea 4:18 (twice in verse); Hosea 5:3.
זָנָה fut. יִזְנֶח apoc. וַיִּזֶן
(1) to commit fornication. (Arab. زنى coivit, to commit fornication; Syr. ܙܢܳܐ id.; Eth. ዘመወ፡, although Nun is retained in ዝኔት፡ semen coitus.) Attributed properly and chiefly to a woman; whether married (when it may be rendered, to commit adultery) or unmarried, Genesis 38:24; Leviticus 19:29; Hosea 3:3 and it is construed with an accusative following of the fornicator or adulterer, Jeremiah 3:1; Ezekiel 16:28; Isaiah 23:17 (unless אֶת in this place is with); also followed by בְּ (to commit fornication with), Ezekiel 16:17 אֶל Ezekiel 16:26, 28 Ezekiel 16:28 very often followed by אַחֲרֵי, prop. to go a whoring after, to follow a paramour, Ezekiel 16:34 Levit. 17:7 20:5, Leviticus 20:6; Deuteronomy 31:16, etc. On the other hand, מִן is put before the husband from whom the adulteress departs in committing whoredom, against whom she transgresses, Psalms 73:27 מֵאַחֲרֵי Hosea 1:2 מִתַּחַת Hosea 4:12, and תַּחַת Ezekiel 23:5 (comp. Numbers 5:19, 29 ); מֵעַל Hosea 9:1, and עַל Judges 19:2 (where, however, the reading is doubtful); Ezekiel 16:15 (she committed adultery with a husband; i.e. whilst she had a husband, she thus transgressed against him). Part. זוֹנָה a harlot, whore, prostitute, Genesis 38:15; Deuteronomy 23:19, and more fully אִשָּׁה זוֹנָה Leviticus 21:7; Joshua 2:1; Judges 11:1 nor are those to be listened to, who, in some passages, for instance in that cited from Joshua, understand a hostess, a keeper of a house of entertainment, from זוּן to feed. This word is rarely used of a male paramour, as Numbers 25:1, followed by אֶל (comp. Arab. زَان for زَانىُ a whoremonger).
(2) It is very often used figuratively
(a) of idolatry, [to go a whoring after strange gods, ] (the prophets shadowing forth the relation in which God stood to the people of Israel by the marriage union, see Hosea 1:2; Ezekiel 16:23 so that the people worshipping strange gods is compared to an adulterous woman). For the prepositions which follow, see above, No. 1. A very common expression is זָנָה אַחֲרֵי אֱלֹהִים אֲחֵרִים to go a whoring after strange gods, Leviticus 17:7, 20:5, Leviticus 20:6; Deuteronomy 31:16; Judges 2:17 also, זָנָה מִתַּחַת אֱלֹהָיו to go a whoring, departing from one’s own God, see above. The expression also is used זָנָה אַחֲרֵי הַגּוֹיִם to go a whoring after (i.e. imitating) the gentiles, Ezekiel 23:30.
(b) of superstitions connected with idolatry: זָנָה אַחֲרֵי הָאֹבוֹת to go a whoring after (following) necromancers, Levit. 20:6.
(c) of the commerce of gentile nations amongst themselves. Spoken of Tyre, Isaiah 23:17, “she committed fornication with all the peoples of the earth;” compare Nahum 3:4 and אֶתְנָן.
Pual זוּנָּה pass. Ezekiel 16:34.
Hiphil הִזְנָה fut. apoc. יֶזֶן
(1) to seduce to fornication, Exodus 34:16 to cause to commit fornication, Leviticus 19:29.
(2) intrans. like Kal, properly to commit fornication, Hosea 4:10, 18 5:3.
Derivatives, זְנוּנִים, זְנוּת, תַּזְנוּת.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.