Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #1878 - דָּשֵׁן
1) to be fat, grow fat, become fat, become prosperous, anoint
1a) (Qal) of prosperity (figuratively)
1b1) to make fat, anoint
1b2) to find fat (of offering — acceptable)
1b3) to take away ashes (from altar)
1c) (Pual) to be made fat
1d) (Hothpael) to fatten oneself (of Jehovah’s sword)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
דָּשֵׁן to be fat, to become fat, Deuteronomy 31:20. (Arab. دَسِمَ id., ם and ן being interchanged.)
(1) to make any thing fat, marrowy. Proverbs 15:30, שְׁמוּעָה טוֹבָה תְּדַשֶּׁן־עָֽצֶם “good tidings make the bones fat,” as if, fills them with marrow, imparts strength. Hence to anoint, Psalms 23:5.
(2) to pronounce fat. Psal. 20:4 עוֹלָֽתְךָ יְדַשְּׁנֶה “pronounce thy burnt-offering fat,” i.e. accept it. (As to ־ֶה parag. comp. 1 Samuel 28:15.) According to Kimchi (denom. from דֶּשֶׁן compare No. 3), turn to ashes, i.e. by sending fire down from heaven, comp. 1 Kings 18:24, 36 1 Kings 18:36.
(3) (denom. from דֶּשֶׁן) to clear from ashes, Exodus 27:3; Numbers 4:13.
Pual, pass. of Piel No. 1, but figuratively, to be satiated abundantly. Proverbs 13:4, נֶפֶשׁ חָרֻצִים תְּדֻשָּׁן “the soul of the diligent shall be abundantly filled;” Proverbs 28:25.
Hothpael חֻדַּשַּׁן for הֻתְדַּשַּׁן to be anointed with fatness, to be smeared, used of a sword, Isaiah 34:6.
The derived nouns follow immediately.
דָּשֵׁן adj. [pl. דְּשֵׁנִים const. דִּשְׁנֵי]
(1) fat, rich, [“comp. שָׁמֵן”], (used of a soil), Isaiah 30:23.
(2) juicy, full of sap (used of trees), Psalms 92:15.
(3) rich, wealthy (used of persons), Psalms 22:30. Comp. שֶׁמֶן.
the Week of Proper 22 / Ordinary 27