the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #1342 - גָּאָה
1) to rise up, grow up, be exalted in triumph
1a1) to rise up
1a2) to grow up
1a3) to be lifted up, be raised up, be exalted
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect ׳ג Exodus 15:1,21, גָּאוּ Ezekiel 47:5; Imperfect יִגְאֶה Job 8:11; Job 10:16; Infinitive absolute גָּאֹה Exodus 15:1,21; —
1 rise up, of waters Ezekiel 47:5.
2 grow up, of plants Job 8:11.
3 be lifted up, exalted, of head Job 10:16, of ׳י in triumph Exodus 15:1,21.
גאה (probably √ of following; Biblical Hebrew גָּאָה rise up).
גָּאָה fut. יִגְאָה a poetical word.
(1) to lift oneself up, to increase, used of water rising up, Ezekiel 47:5 of a plant growing, Job 8:11.- Job 10:16, וְיִגְאֶה כַּשַּׁחַל תְּצוּדֵנִי “and (if) it (my head) raise itself up, as a lion thou wouldest hurt me.”
(2) Metaph. to be exalted, magnificent, of God, Exodus 15:1, 21 Exodus 15:21. In the derivatives it is applied
(3) to honour (see גָּאוֹן No. 1 ), and
(4) to pride and arrogance, see גַּאֲוָה and גָּאוֹן No. 3. (Syr. Pael ܓܰܙܙܰ to decorate, to make magnificent. Ethpael, to boast oneself; ܓܶܐܐ, ܓܐܝܳܐ adorned, magnificent.) In the signification of pride, it accords with the Gr. γαίω.
Derivatives follow, except גֵּא, גֵּוָה No. II.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.