the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #07879 - שִׂיחַ
1) meditation, complaint, musing
1a) plaint, complaint
1b) following are dubious
1b2) anxiety, trouble
Nm ) hix (סיהה SYHh) - I. Meditating:A sweeping away in thought. [df: xyV]II. Bush:As sweeping in the wind. KJV (18): complaint, meditation, prayer, talking, communication, babbling - Strongs: H7879 (שִׂיחַ), H7880 (שִׂיחַ)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1 plaint, complaint: Job 7:13; Job 9:27; Job 10:1 ("" מר נפשׁ), Job 21:4; Job 23:2; Proverbs 23:29; Psalm 55:3 ("" אָהִימָה); קוֺלִי בְּשִׁיחי Psalm 64:2; ׳לפני י׳שָׁפַךְ שׂ Psalm 102:1; Psalm 142:3. following are dubious:
2 musing, 1 Kings 18:27 (E) of a god, "" שִׂיג לוֺ, (so RV; SS 'nachdenken'; Buhl 'beschäftigt sein'; AV talk); Psalm 104:34 of man (Buhl SS. Bae 'Rede, oder Gesang'). — See also [שֵׂחַ] below
3 anxiety, trouble: מֵרֹב שִׂיחִי 1 Samuel 1:16 (defined in ᵑ0 by כַּעַס, compare HPS; so Buhl Song of Solomon , but perhaps = 1).
4 talk: שִׂיחוֺ 2 Kings 9:11 (so RV Song of Solomon , but meaning obscurein context).
(1) pr. to produce, to bring forth, to put forth (comp. Syr. ܫܘܰܚ to germinate, to flourish; Aphel ܐܫܰܘܰܚ to put forth shoots, buds, and Med. quiesc. ܐܰܫܚܺܚ to dare, pr. to life oneself up, ܫܘܽܚܙܳ bushes, and Heb. שִׂיחַ No. 1). In Hebrew
(2) to speak, pr. to utter with the mouth, comp. אָמַר No. 1. Followed by לְ to speak to any one, Job 12:8 with suff. Proverbs 6:22, תְּשִׂיחֶךָ “he shall speak with thee.” Followed by בְּ to speak of any one, Psalms 69:13.
(3) to sing, Judges 5:10; Psalms 145:5. Followed by בְּ to celebrate anything in song, Psalms 105:2, and in a bad sense, to lament, to complain, Psalms 55:18; Job 7:11.
(4) to talk with oneself, i.e. to meditate, especially on divine things, Psalms 77:4, Psalms 77:7 followed by בְּ of the thing, Psalms 119:15, 23 Psalms 119:23, 27 Psalms 119:27, 48 Psalms 119:48, 78 Psalms 119:78, 148 Psalms 119:148, 77:13. Compare syn. הָגָה.
Pilel שׂוֹחֵחַ to meditate, Psalms 143:5 to think upon anything, Isaiah 53:8.
Hence שֵׂחַ, שִׂיהָה, and
(1) a shrub, bush, see the root No. 1 [in Thes. this first signification is taken as a distinct root], Genesis 2:5. Pl. Genesis 21:13; Job 30:4, Job 30:7.
(2) speech, discourse, 2 Kings 9:11.
(3) quarrel, Job 7:13, 9:27 21:4 23:2 Psalms 142:3; 1 Samuel 1:16.
(4) meditation, 1 Kings 18:27 in mockery of Baal, as not answering the supplications of his priests, it is said שִׂיחַ לוֹ “he has a meditation,” i.e. he is so entirely taken up with meditating that he cannot hear; or, from signif. No. 2, “he has a discourse” (conversation) with some. LXX. ἀδολεσχία αὐτῷ ἐστί, the Greek word denoting both meditation and conversation.