the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #01878 - דָּשֵׁן
1) to be fat, grow fat, become fat, become prosperous, anoint
1a) (Qal) of prosperity (figuratively)
1b1) to make fat, anoint
1b2) to find fat (of offering — acceptable)
1b3) to take away ashes (from altar)
1c) (Pual) to be made fat
1d) (Hothpael) to fatten oneself (of Jehovah’s sword)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect 3 masculine singular וְדָשֵׁן consecutive Deuteronomy 31:20 (JE) figurative of Israel's prosperity.
Pi`el Perfect דִּשַּׁנְתָּ Psalm 23:5; וְדִשְּׁנוּ consecutive Numbers 4:13; Imperfect: יְדַשְּׁנֶהֶֿסּלָה Psalm 20:4 volunt. (compare Ges§ 48, 3De; but perhaps read suffix נֶהָ-, נָהּ#NAME? l.c.); 3 feminine singular תְּדַשֶּׁןֿ Proverbs 15:30; Infinitive לְדַשְּׁנוֺ Exodus 27:3 — causative make fat בשׁמן׳ד ראשׁי i.e. anoint, symbol of festivity and joy Psalm 23:5; עָ֑צֶם׳ד Proverbs 15:30 of bodily effect of good news; עולה׳ד find a burnt-offering fat = acceptable Psalm 20:4; elsewhere denominative from דֶּשֶׁן (fat ashes); — take away, clear away the fat ashes (accusative of altar cleared) Numbers 4:13 (P), so סירות לְדַשְּׁנוֺ Exodus 27:3 (P).
Pu`al Imperfect יְדֻשָּׁ֑ן Proverbs 28:25; Isaiah 34:7; 3 feminine singular תְּדֻשָּׁן Proverbs 11:25; Proverbs 13:4 — passive of causation
Pi`el be made fat, of dust saturated מֵחַלֶב Isaiah 34:7; figurative of prosperity of the liberal Proverbs 11:25, the diligent Proverbs 13:4, the trustful Proverbs 28:25.
Hothpa`al Perfect 3 feminine singular הֻדַּ֫שְׁנָה (compare Ol§ 271 Ges§ 54. 3) Isaiah 34:6, of Yahweh's sword: — it hath fattened itself מֵחֶלֶב "" (מָֽלְאָה דָּםׅ
דָּשֵׁן to be fat, to become fat, Deuteronomy 31:20. (Arab. دَسِمَ id., ם and ן being interchanged.)
(1) to make any thing fat, marrowy. Proverbs 15:30, שְׁמוּעָה טוֹבָה תְּדַשֶּׁן־עָֽצֶם “good tidings make the bones fat,” as if, fills them with marrow, imparts strength. Hence to anoint, Psalms 23:5.
(2) to pronounce fat. Psal. 20:4 עוֹלָֽתְךָ יְדַשְּׁנֶה “pronounce thy burnt-offering fat,” i.e. accept it. (As to ־ֶה parag. comp. 1 Samuel 28:15.) According to Kimchi (denom. from דֶּשֶׁן compare No. 3), turn to ashes, i.e. by sending fire down from heaven, comp. 1 Kings 18:24, 36 1 Kings 18:36.
(3) (denom. from דֶּשֶׁן) to clear from ashes, Exodus 27:3; Numbers 4:13.
Pual, pass. of Piel No. 1, but figuratively, to be satiated abundantly. Proverbs 13:4, נֶפֶשׁ חָרֻצִים תְּדֻשָּׁן “the soul of the diligent shall be abundantly filled;” Proverbs 28:25.
Hothpael חֻדַּשַּׁן for הֻתְדַּשַּׁן to be anointed with fatness, to be smeared, used of a sword, Isaiah 34:6.
The derived nouns follow immediately.
דָּשֵׁן adj. [pl. דְּשֵׁנִים const. דִּשְׁנֵי]
(1) fat, rich, [“comp. שָׁמֵן”], (used of a soil), Isaiah 30:23.
(2) juicy, full of sap (used of trees), Psalms 92:15.
(3) rich, wealthy (used of persons), Psalms 22:30. Comp. שֶׁמֶן.