the Week of Proper 3 / Ordinary 8
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #4123 - πλεονέκτης
- one eager to have more, esp. what belongs to others
- greedy of gain, covetous
πλεονέκτ-ης, ου, ὁ,
= ὁ πλέον ἔχων, one who has or claims more than his due, greedy, grasping, Th. 1.40, etc.: as Adj. λόγος π. a greedy, arrogant speech, Hdt. 7.158: Sup. πλεονεκτίστατος X. Mem. 1.2.12 .
2. ἐν παντὶ πλεονέκτην τῶν πολεμίων making gain from their losses, Id. Cyr. 1.6.27 .
3. metaph. in Math., of τὸ ὑπερτελές, Iamb. in Nic. p.32 P.
πλεονέκτης, πλεονέκτου, ὁ (πλέον and ἔχω);
1. one eager to have more, especially what belongs to others ((Thucydides 1, 40, 1 (cf. Herodotus 7, 158)); Xenophon, mem. 1, 5, 3);
2. greedy of gain, covetous: 1 Corinthians 5:10, 11; 1 Corinthians 6:10; Ephesians 5:5; Sir. 14:9.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
** πλεονέκτης , -ον , ὁ
(< πλέον , ἔχω ),
[in LXX: Sirach 14:9*;]
= ὁ θέλων πλέον ἔχειν (v. MM, xx),
one desirous of having more, covetous: 1 Corinthians 5:10-11; 1 Corinthians 6:10 Ephesians 5:5.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
";Puteoli"; : for the form of the name cf. Robertson Gr. p. 189, and see the citations in Wetstein ad Acts 28:13.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.