the Fifth Week of Lent
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #4047 - περιποίησις
- a preserving, a preservation
- possession, one's own property
- an obtaining
περιποί-ησις, εως, ἡ,
keeping safe, preservation, Pl. Def. 415c, LXX 2 Chronicles 14:13(12), Ma. 3.17, Ep.Hebrews 10:39 .
2. concrete, those who are saved, Ep.Ephesians 1:14.
II gaining possession of, acquisition, Thess. 5.9, Thess. 2.14, PTeb. 317.26 (ii A. D.), Vett.Val. 85.16, Just. Edict. 13.15; procuring, A.D. Synt. 294.9 .
2. λαὸς εἰς περιποίησιν, = λ. περιούσιος, Pet. 2.9 .
περιποίησις, περιποιήσεως, ἡ (περιποιέω);
1. a preserving, preservation: εἰς περιποίησιν ψυχῆς, to the preserving of the soul, namely, that it may be made partaker of eternal salvation (A. V. unto the saving of the soul), Hebrews 10:39 (Plato, deff., p. 415 c.).
2. possession, one's own property: 1 Peter 2:9 (Isaiah 43:20f); Ephesians 1:14 (on this passive see ἀπολύτρωσις, 2):
3. an obtaining: with a genitive of the thing to be obtained, 1 Thessalonians 5:9; 2 Thessalonians 2:14.
STRONGS NT 4047a: περιρραίνω περιρραίνω (Tdf. περιραίνω, with one rho ῥ; see Rho): perfect passive participle, περιρεραμμενος (cf. Mu); (περί and ῤαίνω to sprinkle); to sprinkle around, besprinkle: ἱμάτιον, passive, Revelation 19:13 Tdf. (others, βεβαμμένον (except WH ῥεραντισμενον, see ῤαντίζω, and their Appendix at the passage)). (Aristophanes, Menander, Philo, Plutarch, others; the Sept..)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
† περι -ποίησις , -εως , ἡ
(< περιποιέω ),
[in LXX: 2 Chronicles 4:13 (12) (H4241) Malachi 3:17 (H5459), Haggai 2:10 (9) *;]
1. preservation: Hebrews 10:39 (2 Ch, l.c.).
2. acquisition, obtaining: 1 Thessalonians 5:9, 2 Thessalonians 2:14 (and so perh. Ephesians 1:14, v. infr.).
3. a possession: Ephesians 1:14 (but v. supr., and cf. ICC, in l), 1 Peter 2:9 (LXX).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
For the aor. = ";become rich,"; as in Revelation 3:18, cf. P Giss I. 13.19 (not dated) ὅπω [ς ] πλουτή [σ ]ῃς εἰς αἰῶ [να. The aor. is ingressive in 1 Corinthians 4:8 ἤδη ἐπλουτήσατε; ";have you already come into your wealth?"; The pres. is seen in the Delphic precept, Syll.3 1268ii. 30 πλούτει δ ̣[ικαίως.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.