the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #4017 - περιβλέπω
- to look around
- to look around about one's self
- to look round on one (i.e. to look for one's self at one near by)
look round about, gaze around, περιβλέψας ἔφη Ar. Ec. 403; πρὸς τοὺς παρόντας Pl. Erx. 395c; μηδαμοῖ X. Lac. 3.4; πάντῃ Luc. Sacr. 9, etc.: — Med., look about one, Plu. Cat.Mi. 37, Arr. Epict. 3.14.3; περιεβλέποντο ζητοῦντες . . D.S. 16.32 .
II trans., look round at, πάσας X. Cyr. 5.1.4: — Med., ἀλλότρια ἡγεμονικὰ π . M.Ant. 7.55, cf. Mark 3:5 .
2. seek after, covet for oneself, ἀρχήν App. BC 3.7 .
3. look about for, τινα Luc. Vit.Auct. 12; τόπον εὐφυῆ Plb. 5.20.5: — Med., Id. 9.17.6, LXX Tobit 11:5.
4. admire, respect, τοὔνδικον π . S. OC 996 (unless in signf. 11.3 ): — Pass., περιβλέπεσθαι τίμιον E. Ph. 551, cf. Philostr. Her. 15 .
5. Med., look up, consult, βίβλους Zos.Alch. p.138 B.
περιβλέπω: imperfect middle 3 person singular περιεβλέπετο; 1 aorist participle περιβλεψάμενος; to look around. In the N. T. only in the middle (to look round about oneself): absolutely, Mark 9:8; Mark 10:23; followed by an infinitive of purpose, Mark 5:32; τινα, to look round on one (i. e. to look for oneself at one near by), Mark 3:5, 34; Luke 6:10; εἰς τίνος, Ev. Nic c. 4; πάντα, Mark 11:11. (Aristophanes, Xenophon, Plato, others; the Sept..)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
περι -βλέπω ,
[in LXX for H7789, etc.;]
to look around (at). Mid., to look about one (at) : absol., Mark 9:8; Mark 10:23; c. inf., Mark 5:32; c. acc pers., Mark 3:5; Mark 3:34, Luke 6:10; πάντα , Mark 11:11.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.