the Week of Proper 4 / Ordinary 9
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #1850 - ἐξουσιάζω
- to have power or authority, use power
- to be master of any one, exercise authority over one
- to be master of the body
- to have full and entire authority over the body
- to hold the body subject to one's will
- to be brought under the power of anyone
fut. -άσω Phld. (v. infr.): —
1. exercise authority, LXX Ecclesiastes 8:4 : c. inf., have power, Phld. Rh. 1.6S., D.H. 9.44.
2. exercise authority over, τοῦ μνήματος CIG 4584 (Palestine); τινῶν Luke 22:25; 1 Corinthians 7:4; τῶν ἑαυτῆς ἕδνων PMasp. 15.170 (vi A.D.): — Med., ἐπὶ τὸν λαόν LXX Nehemiah 5:15; ἔν τινι ib. Ecclesiastes 8:9 : — Pass., to be held under authority, 1 Corinthians 6:12.
3. enjoy licence, Arist. EE 1216a2.
ἐξουσιάζω; 1 future passive ἐξουσιασθήσομαι; (ἐξουσία); equivalent to ἐξουσίαν ἔχω, to have power or authority, use power: (ἐν πλείοσι ἐξουσιάζειν πολλῶν μοναρχιων, Aristotle, eth. Eud. 1, 5, p. 1216a, 2); ἐν ἀτιμοις, Dionysius Halicarnassus, Antiquities 9, 44; τίνος, to be master of anyone, exercise authority over one, Luke 22:25; τοῦ σώματος, to be master of the body, i. e. to have full and entire authority over the body, to hold the body subject to one's will, 1 Corinthians 7:4. Passive followed by ὑπό τίνος, to be brought under the power of anyone, 1 Corinthians 6:12. (the Sept. several times in Nehemiah and Ecclesiastes, chiefly for מָשַׁל and שָׁלַט.) (Compare: κατεξουσιάζω.)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
[in LXX (freq. in Ec) chiefly for H7980;]
1. to exercise authority (Arist.).
2. Trans., to exercise authority over: c. gen. pers., Luke 22:25; c. gen. rei, 1 Corinthians 7:4; pass., to be held under authority (v. Lft., Notes, 214): seq. ὑπό , 1 Corinthians 6:12.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
In the sepulchral inscr. CIG III. 4584, after the statement that the monument had been provided by certain persons ἐξ ἰδίων καμάτων, it is added—θυγατέρα αὐτῶν μὴ ἐξουσιάζειν τοῦ μνήματος : cf. the inscr. from the catacombs of Syracuse IG XIV. 79.4 Ἀφροδισίας καὶ Εὐφροσύνου ἀγορασία τόπος · μηδὶς ἐξουσιάσῃ ἄλλος.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.