the Week of Proper 4 / Ordinary 9
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #1843 - ἐξομολογέω
- to confess
- to profess
- acknowledge openly and joyfully
- to one's honour: to celebrate, give praise to
- to profess that one will do something, to promise, agree, engage
From G1537 and G3670
ἐξομολογέω, ἐξομολόγω: 1 aorist ἐξωμολόγησα; middle, (present εξ( ὀμολογοῦμαι); future ἐξομολογήσομαί; (1 aorist subjunctive 3 person singular ἐξομολογήσηται, Philippians 2:11 R G L text Tr text WH); (ἐξ either forth from the heart, freely, or publicly, openly (cf. Winers Grammar, 102 (97))); active and deponent middle to confess, to profess;
1. to confess: τάς ἁμαρτίας, Matthew 3:6; Mark 1:5; (James 5:16 L T Tr WH) (Josephus, Antiquities 8, 4, 6; (cf. b. j. 5, 10, 5; Clement of Rome, 1 Cor. 51, 3 [ET]; the Epistle of Barnabas 19, 12 [ET])); τάς πράξεις, Acts 19:18; τά παραπτώματα, James 5:16 R G; (ἡτταν, Plutarch, Eum c. 17; τήν ἀλήθειαν ἄνευ βασάνων, id. Anton c. 59).
2. to profess i. e. to acknowledge openly and joyfully: τό ὄνομα τίνος, Revelation 3:5 Rec.; followed by ὅτι, Philippians 2:11; with the dative of person (cf. Winers Grammar, § 31, 1 f.; Buttmann, 176 (153)) to one's honor, i. e. to celebrate, give praise to (so the Sept. for לְ הודָה, Psalm 29:5
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
† ἐξ -ομολογέω , -ῶ ,
and depon. mid., -έομαι , -οῦμαι
[as always in LXX chiefly for H3034 hi.;]
1. act. = cl. ὁμολογέω , to profess or agree to do (Field, Notes, 75): Luke 22:6.
2. Mid., to acknowledge, confess (MM, Exp., xiv): τ . ἁμαρτίας , Matthew 3:6, Mark 1:5, James 5:16; τ . πράξεις , Acts 19:18; seq. ὅτι , Philippians 2:11; c. dat. pers., to make acknowledgment to one's honour, to praise, give praise to (as in LXX; Kennedy, Sources, 118): Romans 14:11(LXX) Romans 15:9 (LXX); seq. ὅτι , Matthew 11:25, Luke 10:21 (Cremer, 771).†
ἐξ -όν , see ἔξστι .
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
For the ordinary meaning ";acknowledge,"; ";avow openly,"; cf. P Hib I. 30.18 (B.C. 300–271) οὔτε τῷ πράκτορι ἠβούλου ἐξομο [λογήσ ]α ̣σθαι, ";nor were willing to acknowledge the debt to the collector"; (Edd.), P Oxy XII. 1473.9 (A.D. 201) ἀμφότεροι δὲ ἥ τε Ἀπολλωνάριον καὶ ὁ Ὡρείων ἐξομολογοῦνται τὸν καὶ διὰ τῆς περιλύσεως ἐξομολογηθέντα γεγονότα αἱαυτοῖς ἐξ ἀλλήλων υἱόν, ";both Apollonarion and Horion acknowledge the son born to them, who was also acknowledged in the deed of divorce"; (Edd.) : see also the Median parchment P Sa‘íd Khan i. 7 (B.C. 22–1) (= JHS xxxv. (1915) p. 28) ἐξωμολογήσατο καὶ συνεγράψατο Βαράκης καὶ Σωβήνης. . . εἰληφέναι παρὰ Γαθάκου τοῦ Οἰπάτου ἀργυρίου ἐπισήμου δραχμὰς τριάκοντα. MGr ξομολογῶ or ξεμολογῶ (c. acc.) = ";hear one’s confession,"; ";shrive"; : ἐξομολόγησι, ";confession."; How readily this may pass into the sense of ";consent,"; ";agree,"; as in Luke 22:6, may be seen from such passages as P Tebt I. 183 (late ii/B.C.) τοῦ κω [μάρχ ]ου ἐξωμολογησαμένου ἕκαστα, P Flor I. 86.11 (i/A.D.) ἐξομολογουμένην (l. —μένη) τὴν πίστην (l. —ιν), Syll 925.95 (B.C. 139?) ἐξωμολογημένας εἶχεν τὰς ἀποδ (ε)[ί ](ξ)[εις. In the LXX the idea of ";give thanks,"; ";praise,"; is prominent : cf. in the NT Matthew 11:25, Luke 10:21, and perhaps Philippians 2:11 (see Lightfoot ad l.).
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.