Click to donate today!
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) King Zedekiah's original name, but changed by Nebuchadnezzar when he made him king over Judah instead of his nephew Jehoiachin (2 Kings 24:17 ).
(2) A descendant of Asaph (1 Chronicles 9:15 ), leader of the temple choir (Nehemiah 11:17; Nehemiah 12:8 ). Mentioned among the "porters," keepers of "the storehouses of the gates" (Nehemiah 12:25 ), and again in Nehemiah 12:35 as among the "priests' sons with trumpets."
(3) May be the same as (2), though in 2 Chronicles 20:14 he is mentioned as an ancestor of that Jahaziel whose inspired words in the midst of the congregation encouraged Jehoshaphat to withstand the invasion of Moab, Ammon and Seir ( 2 Chronicles 20:14 ff).
(4-7) Four others who had foreign wives, (a) the Matthanias of 1 Esdras 9:27 (Ezra 10:26 ); (b) the Othonias of 1 Esdras 9:28 (Ezra 10:27 ); (c) the Matthanias of 1 Esdras 9:31 (Ezra 10:30 ); (d) the fourth of these in 1 Esdras 9:34 the King James Version has had his name blended into that of Mattenai, and the two appear as the composite name Mamnitanemus (Ezra 10:37 ). He is a son of Bani.
(9) One of the sons of Heman the singer, whose office it was to blow the horns in the temple-service as David had appointed it (1 Chronicles 25:4 , 1 Chronicles 25:5 ). He was head of the 9th division of the 12 Levites (1 Chronicles 25:16 ), who were proficient in the Songs of Yahweh (1 Chronicles 25:7 ).
(10) One of the sons of Asaph who helped Hezekiah in the fulfilling of his vow to cleanse the house of the Lord (2 Chronicles 29:13 ).
These files are public domain and were generously provided by the folks at WordSearch Software.
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. Entry for 'Mattaniah'. International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/isb/m/mattaniah.html. 1915.