Click to donate today!
Smith's Bible Dictionary
Hanani'ah. (gift of God).
1. One of the fourteen sons of Heman, and chief of the sixteenth course of singers. 1 Chronicles 25:4-5; 1 Chronicles 25:23. (B.C. 1014).
2. A general in the army of King Uzziah. 2 Chronicles 26:11.
3. Father of Zedekiah, in the reign of Jehoiakim. (B.C. Before 605).
4. Son of Azur, a Benjamite of Gibeon, and a false prophet in the reign of Zedekiah, king of Judah. In the fourth year of his reign, B.C. 595, Hananiah withstood Jeremiah, the prophet, and publicly prophesied in the Temple that, within two years, Jeconiah and all his fellow captives with the vessels of the Lord's house, should be brought back to Jerusalem. Jeremiah 28:1.
Hananiah corroborated his prophecy by taking from off the neck of Jeremiah, the yoke which he wore by divine command, Jeremiah 27:1, and breaking it. But Jeremiah was bidden to go tell Hananiah that, for the wooden yokes which he had broken, he should make yokes of iron, so firm was the dominion of Babylon destined to be for seventy years. The prophet Jeremiah added to this rebuke the prediction of Hananiah's death, the fulfillment of which closes the history of this false prophet.
5. Grandfather of Irijah, the captain of the ward at the gate of Benjamin, who arrested Jeremiah on the charge of deserting to the Chaldeans. Jeremiah 37:13. (B.C. Before 589).
6. Head of a Benjamite house. 1 Chronicles 8:24.
7. The Hebrew name of Shadrach. He was of the house of David, according to Jewish tradition Daniel 1:3; Daniel 1:6-7; Daniel 1:11; Daniel 1:19; Daniel 2:17.
8. Son of Zerubbabel, 1 Chronicles 3:19, from whom Christ derived his descent. He is the same person who is, by St. Luke, called Joanna. (B.C. After 536).
9. One of the sons of Bebai, who returned with Ezra from Babylon. Ezra 10:28. (B.C. 459).
10. A priest, one of the makers of the sacred ointments and incense, who built a portion of the wall of Jerusalem, in the days of Nehemiah.
11. Head of the priestly course of Jeremiah, in the days of Joiakim. Nehemiah 12:12. (B.C. 610).
12. Ruler of the palace at Jerusalem, under Nehemiah. The arrangements for guarding the gates of Jerusalem were intrusted to him with Hanan, the Tirshatha's brother. Nehemiah 7:2-3. (B.C. 446).
13. An Israelite. Nehemiah 10:23.
These files are public domain.
Smith, William, Dr. Entry for 'Hananiah'. Smith's Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/sbd/h/hananiah.html. 1901.