the Fifth Week of Lent
Morrish Bible Dictionary
Used in various significations in scripture.
1. State of the earth before God said, Let there be light. Genesis 1:2 .
2. Temporary absence of light in the night. Genesis 1:5 .
3. Extraordinary darkness sent by God. Exodus 10:21; Exodus 14:20; Matthew 27:45 .
4. The darkness by which God shrouded His glory. Exodus 20:21; Psalm 18:9,11; Psalm 97:2; Hebrews 12:18 .
5. State of death as compared with natural life. Job 10:21,22 .
6. Moral darkness as the consequent state of man fallen. Psalm 82:5; Isaiah 9:2; Matthew 4:16; John 1:5; John 3:19; 2 Corinthians 6:14; 1 Peter 2:9 .
7. It characterises Satan and his agents. Luke 22:53; Ephesians 6:12; Revelation 16:10 .
8. It is the abode of wicked spirits and will characterise the place of punishment of the wicked. Matthew 8:12; 2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6,13 . God is light, and Christ came into the world as the true light: everything shut out from God, or opposed to God and to the Lord Jesus, must partake of moral darkness.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Darkness'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/​dictionaries/​eng/​mbd/​d/darkness.html. 1897.