the Second Week of Advent
Click here to join the effort!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. King of Gerar, who, believing Sarah to be Abraham's sister, took her into his harem, but being warned by God* he returned Sarah, calling Abraham her brother, as a rebuke. Genesis 20 .
* A witness of God's rights in His people, Psalm 105:14,15 , and that He will vindicate His faithfulness in His ways with them even when they are unfaithful.
2. A similar thing happened with Isaac and Rebecca under another king of the same name the name being a title of the kings of the Philistines, as Pharaoh was that of the kings of Egypt. Genesis 26:1-16 .
3. Son of Gideon by a Shechemite concubine. He induced the men of Shechem to choose him as ruler and then slew 70 of his brethren. Jotham alone escaped, who pronounced a curse upon the murderers. This was fulfilled by many of the men of Shechem being killed, and Abimelech being mortally wounded by a piece of a millstone cast upon him by a woman at the attack upon Thebez. Judges 8:31; Judges 9; 2 Samuel 11:21 .
4. Priest in the time of David, 1 Chronicles 18:16 : also called AHIMELECH in 2 Samuel 8:17 . See ABIATHAR.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Abimelech'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/​dictionaries/​eng/​mbd/​a/abimelech.html. 1897.