Click to donate today!
King James Dictionary
WORD, n. G., L., to speak. A word is that which is uttered or thrown out.
1. An articulate or vocal sound, or a combination of articulate and vocal sounds, uttered by the human voice, and by custom expressing an idea or ideas a single component part of human speech or language. Thus a in English is a word but few words consist of one letter only. Most words consist of two or more letters, as go, do, shall, called monosyllables, or of two or more syllables, as honor, goodness, amiable.
2. The letter or letters, written or printed, which represent a sound or combination of sounds.
3. A short discourse.
Shall I vouchsafe your worship a word or two?
4. Talk discourse.
Why should calamity be full of words?
Be thy words severe.
5. Dispute verbal contention as, some words grew between us.
6. Language living speech oral expression. The message was delivered by word of mouth.
7. Promise. He gave me his word he would pay me.
Obey they parents keep thy word justly.
8. Signal order command.
Give the word through.
9. Account tidings message. Bring me word what is the issue of the contest.
10. Declaration purpose expressed.
I know you brave, and take you at your word.
11. Declaration affirmation.
I desire not the reader should take my word.
12. The Scripture divine revelation, or any part of it. This is called the word of God.
13. Christ. John 1 .
14. A motto a short sentence a proverb.
A good word, commendation favorable account.
And gave the harmless fellow a good word.
In word, in declaration only.
Let us not love in word only, neither in tongue but in deed and in truth. 1 John 3 .
WORD, To dispute. Little used.
WORD, To express in words. Take care to word ideas with propriety.
The apology of the king is the same, but worded with greater deference to that great prince.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Word'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/w/word.html.