Click to donate today!
King James Dictionary
QUAR'REL, n. L. queror, to complain, that is, to cry out with a loud voice. Hence we see the primary sense is the same as brawl. The L. queror coincides in elements with to call, to bawl, to shout, and gearan, a complaint. Heb.
1. A brawl a petty fight or scuffle from its noise and uproar.
2. A dispute a contest.
On open seas their quarrels they debate.
3. A breach of friendship or concord open variance between parties.
4. Cause of dispute.
The king's quarrel is honorable.
5. Something that gives a right to mischief, reprisal or action.
He thought he had a good quarrel to attack him. Not used.
6. Objection will, or reason to complain ground of objection or dispute.
Herodias had a quarrel against him. Mark 6 .
7. Something peevish, malicious, or disposed to make trouble. Not used.
1. An arrow with a square head. Not used unless in poetry.
2. A pane of glass a square. See Quarry and Square.
1. To dispute violently or with loud and angry words to wrangle to scold. How odious to see husband and wife quarrel!
2. To fight to scuffle to contend to squabble used of two persons or of a small number. It is never used of armies and navies in combat. Children and servants often quarrel about trifles. Tavern-haunters sometimes quarrel over their cups.
3. To fall into variance.
Our people quarrel with obedience.
4. To find fault to cavil.
I will not quarrel with a slight mistake.
Men at enmity with their God, quarreling with his attributes - quarreling with the being that made them, and who is constantly doing them good.
5. To disagree to be at variance not to be in accordance in form or essence.
Some things arise of strange and quarr'ling kind, the forepart lion, and a snake behind.
1. To quarrel with.
2. To compel by a quarrel as, to quarrel a man out of his estate or rights.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Quarrel'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/q/quarrel.html.