Click here to join the effort!
King James Dictionary
ABOUT', prep. Gr. butan, without, see but, literally, around, on the outside.
1. Around on the exterior part or surface.
Bind them about thy neck. Proverbs 3:3. Isaiah 50 Hence,
2. Near to in place, with the sense of circularity.
Get you up from about the tabernacle. Numbers 16
3. Near to in time.
He went out about the third hour. Matthew 21:3.
4. Near to, in action, or near to the performance of some act.
Paul was about to open his mouth.
They were about to flee out of the ship. Acts 28:14-30.
5. Near to the person appended to the clothes. Every thing about him is in order. Is your snuff box about you? From nearness on all sides, the transition is easy to a concern with. Hence,
6. Concerned in, engaged in, relating to, respecting.
I must be about my father's business. Luke 2:49. The painter is not to take so much pains about the drapery as about the face
What is he about?
7. In compass or circumference two yards about the trunk.
1. Near to in number or quantity.
There fell that day about three thousand men. Exodus 32
2. Near to in quality or degree as about as high, or as cold.
3. Here and there around in one place and another.
Wandering about from house to house. 1 Timothy 5
4. round, or the longest way, opposed to across, or the shortest way. A mile about, and half a mile across.
To bring about, to bring to the end to effect or accomplish a purpose.
To come about, to change or turn to come to the desired point. In a like sense, seamen say go about, when a ship changes her course and goes on the other tack.
Ready about, about ship, are orders for tacking.
To go about, signifies to enter upon also to prepare to seek the means.
Why go ye about to kill me. John 7.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'About'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/a/about.html.