Click to donate today!
Observations relating chiefly to Social Life
2. Cp. the many changes of rulers during the unsatisfactory period described in 2K15.
3. The addition of a single Hebrew letter gives ’wicked’ instead of poor.
4. See the account of Phinehas (Numbers 25). But the law here means religious and moral teaching in general.
5. Cp. 1 John 2:20.
8. Unjust gain] RV ’increase.’ The OT. denounced usury and interest because it was assumed that the borrower was a person in distress (Exodus 22:25; Deuteronomy 23:19; Psalms 15:5). That is quite a different matter from the lending on interest, without which modern trade could not be carried on.
10. The evil way is the one which ends in calamity.
14. He fears to do wrong.
18. For at once, read, ’into a pit.’
21. RM ’For a piece of bread a man will transgress.’ ’I was taken by a morsel, says the fish.’
22. Evil eye] avaricious.
27. Hideth his eyes] He ’passes by on the other side’ (Luke 10:31-32).
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Proverbs 28". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 14 / Ordinary 19