Click to donate today!
Jeremiah’s History from the Fall of Jerusalem till he goes down to Egypt. See Introduction
The Capture of Jerusalem (11th year of Zedekiah)
The narrative in this c., with some varieties in detail, coincides with that of Jeremiah 52 and with 2 Kings 25.
1-7. The city taken. Zedekiah’s fate.
3. From the Eng. it would appear that there are six persons named. But Rab-saris (chief of the eunuchs) and Rab-mag (chief of the sorcerers) are only the titles of those whose names they follow.
4. The way of the plain] so as to escape to the eastern bank of Jordan.
5. Riblah] on the high road between Palestine and Babylon.
7. See on Jeremiah 34:3. Putting out the eyes was a common punishment in the East.
8-10. Fate of the city. If we had only this narrative we should suppose that Nebuzaradan was present in person, but Jeremiah 52:12 shows that he did not arrive till a month after the taking of the city.
11-14. Nebuchadnezzar and the prophet.
12. Look well to him] for Jeremiah had always counselled submission to Babylon: cp. Jeremiah 40:1.
14. Gedaliah] see on Jeremiah 26:24
15-18. Message to Ebed-melech.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Jeremiah 39". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Fourth Week after Epiphany