Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
The Jews are Saved
1. Did.. of Haman] The property of Haman, after his execution, was confiscated to the use of the king, to be disposed of as he thought fit.
2. Took off his ring, etc.] The bestowal of the ring implied that Mordecai was appointed to be a minister of State, since the ring was used for giving authority to royal decrees (see Esther 8:8): cp. Genesis 41:42.
4. Then the king held out] This seems to imply that Esther had approached the king unbidden: see Esther 4:11.
7. Behold, I have given, etc.] The king mentions this to show that his denial of her request to reverse the letters of Haman (Esther 8:5) was due not to lack of desire, but lack of ability to meet her wishes.
8. Write ye also] The letters written by Haman and sealed with the king’s ring could not be reversed as Esther had requested (Esther 8:5), but she and Mordecai could be empowered, as Haman had previously been (Esther 3:11-12), to write such letters as they might think expedient to enable the Jews to stand on their defence.
9. The third month] i.e. May-June. Rather more than two months had elapsed since Haman’s letters had been despatched (Esther 3:12).
10. Riders on mules, etc.] RV ’riding on swift steeds that were used in the king’s service, bred of the stud.’
15. In royal apparel] not the same as that described in Esther 6:8, but a dress befitting the high office to which he had been appointed. His present magnificence was in striking contrast to his previous distress and humiliation (Esther 4:1).
A great crown of gold] i.e. a circlet, indicative of high, though not royal, rank. In the Heb. a different word is used to describe the royal crown worn by the king and queen (Esther 1:11; Esther 2:17).
7. Became Jews] i.e. proselytes.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Esther 8". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26