Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Injunctions Regarding Feasts, Judges, Groves, and Images
1-8. On the Passover see Exodus 12 Leviticus 23:4-8; Numbers 28:16-25, and the notes on these passages. It will be observed that the general law of Deuteronomy 12:5 (see on Deuteronomy 12:4-28) is here applied to each of the three great annual festivals: see Deuteronomy 16:2, Deuteronomy 16:11, Deuteronomy 16:15.
3. Bread of affliction] So called from the circumstances in which the festival was instituted and which the unleavened bread and bitter herbs were meant to symbolise: see Exodus 12:8.
8. Solemn assembly] see Leviticus 23:36.
9-12. On the Feast of Weeks see on Leviticus 23:15-21; Numbers 28:26-31.
10. With a tribute of a freewill offering of thine hand] better, ’after the measure of a freewill Offering of thine hand,’ i.e. according to thine ability as God has prospered thee, as in Deuteronomy 16:17.
11. The joyous nature of this festival is emphasised here. The people are to present thank-offerings and remember the poor: cp. Deuteronomy 16:16.
13. On the Feast of Tabernacles see on Leviticus 23:33-43; Numbers 29:12-38.
16. Shall not appear.. empty] To ’appear before God’ is to visit the sanctuary for worship: e.g. Psalms 42:2, Psalms 42:4. On this injunction to bring an offering see on Exodus 23:15, and cp. Psalms 96:8.
18. This is the beginning of the subdivision that deals mainly with civil matters. See heading of Deuteronomy 12.
19. See on Exodus 23:8.
21. Grove of any trees] RV ’ Asherah of any kind of tree’: see on Exodus 34:13.
22. Image] RV ’pillar’: see on Exodus 24:4; Exodus 34:13.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Deuteronomy 16". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26