Click to donate today!
This chapter records the descendants of Levi, traces the line of the high priests to the captivity, and enumerates the cities of the Priests and Levites.
3. Nadab, and Abihu] see Leviticus 10:1-2; 1 Chronicles 24:2. Ithamar] The descendants of Ithamar are not given here, but several occur in Samuel and Kings (Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, Ahimelech, Abiathar), and ’courses’ of priests who traced their origin to him are enumerated in 1 Chronicles 24.
4. Eleazar begat, etc.] The section 1 Chronicles 6:4-15 is a list of high priests from the death of Aaron to the captivity, but is incomplete, for between Ahitub and Zadok in 1 Chronicles 6:12 another name is inserted in 1 Chronicles 9:11, and several names are omitted which occur in the history of the monarchy, viz. Jehoiada (2 Kings 11:15), Urijah (2 Kings 16:17), and the Azariahs who were contemporary with Uzziah and Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 26:17; 2 Chronicles 31:10). In 1 Chronicles 9:9 and 1 Chronicles 9:10 there is some confusion, for the chronology makes it probable that the Azariah of 1 Chronicles 6:9 (and not of 1 Chronicles 6:10) was the high priest in Solomon’s reign.
22. Amminadab] the Izhar of 1 Chronicles 6:38: Numbers 16:1.
27. Elkanah his son] ought to be followed by ’Samuel his son.’
28. Samuel] Samuel’s father Elkanah is here regarded as a Levite, whereas in 1 Sa he is an Ephraimite.
Vashni] This is a corruption of the word for ’the second,’ the name of the firstborn (Joel v. 33) being lost.
31-48. The genealogies of David’s singers. Such names as Heman, Asaph, Ethan (or Jeduthun) are familiar to us from the Psalm titles.
39. His brother] i.e. kinsman, or perhaps fellow-craftsman, both being singers:
54. Castles.. coasts] RV ’encampments., borders.’ Their’s was the lot] RV ’theirs was the first lot’: Joshua 21:10.
61. Which were left] i.e. other descendants of Kohath, exclusive of the sons of Aaron. Out of the half tribe] The names of Ephraim (1 Chronicles 6:66) and Dan are accidentally omitted: see Joshua 21:5.
65. Which are.. names] RV ’which are mentioned by name’: 1 Chronicles 6:57-60.
67. The cities of refuge] In strictness Shechem alone of those mentioned in this and the following vv. was a city of refuge.
69. And Aijalon] This and the following city belonged to Dan: Joshua 21:23, Joshua 21:24.
77. The rest of the children of Merari] RV ’the rest of the Levites, the sons of Merari.’
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on 1 Chronicles 6". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Fourth Week after Epiphany