the Week of Proper 4 / Ordinary 9
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #6823 - צָפָה
1) to lay out, lay over, overlay, cover
1a) (Piel) to overlay, plate, stud
1b) (Pual) to be laid over
1408) py (תספ TsP) AC: Watch CO: Watchtower AB: ?: (eng: spy)
A) py (תספ TsP) AC: Watch CO: Watchtower AB: ?
Nf4 ) tipy (תספית TsPYT) - Watchtower: As watches over an area. KJV (1): watchtower - Strongs: H6844 (צָפִית)
jf) nfpy (תספונ TsPWN) - North: From the north star which is watched for direction. KJV (153): north, northward, northern - Strongs: H6828 (צָפֹן)
jfm) infpy (תספוני TsPWNY) - Northern: From the north star which is watched for direction. KJV (1): northern - Strongs: H6830 (צְפוֹנִי)
H) epy (תספה TsPH) AC: Watch CO: Watchtower AB: ?: A covering of an area by watching.
V) epy (תספה TsPH) - I. Watch: II. Overlay:[Unknown connection to root] KJV (83): (vf: Paal, Pual, Piel) watch, watchman, behold, look, espy, overlay, cover, garnish - Strongs: H6822 (צָפָה), H6823 (צָפָה)
ff1) eipiy (תסיפיה TsYPYH) - Watching: KJV (1): watching - Strongs: H6836 (צִפִּיָּה)
hm) epym (מתספה MTsPH) - Watchtower: A place for watching. KJV (2): watchtower - Strongs: H4707 (מִצְפֶּה)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Infinitive absolute צָפֹה הַצָּפִית Isaiah 21:5 they lay out the rug! or the like, so most moderns, see צָפִית
Pi`el overlay, plate: Perfect 3 masculine singular צִמָּה 1 Kings 6:15 +; 2 masculine singular וְצִמִּיתָ֫ Exodus 25:11 +; Imperfect 3 masculine singular וַיְצַף 1 Kings 6:20 +, suffix וַיְצַמֵּהוּ 1 Kings 6:20 +; 2 masculine singular תְּצַמֶּה Exodus 29:29; 3 masculine plural וַיְצַמּוּ 2 Chronicles 3:10, etc.; — overlay, especially plate something with metal (gold, bronze), usually 2accusative: 1 Kings 6:20 (twice in verse) + 6t. 1 Kings 6, + 1 Kings 10:18, "" 2 Chronicles 3:4,10; 4:9; 9:17; Exodus 25:11,13 21t. Exodus 25-38 (all P): overlay, stud with precious stones, 2accusative 2 Chronicles 3:6; also plate, accusative mater. omitted, 1 Kings 6:15; 2 Kings 18:16; Exodus 25:11; Exodus 38:28; accusative direct object, omitted 1 Kings 6:32,35; with accusative + ב mater. 1 Kings 6:15 overlaid the floor of the house with timbers.
Pu`al Participle מְצֻמֶּה Proverbs 26:23 impure silver (Toy) laid over (עַל) a sherd; plural מְצֻמִּים זָהָב Exodus 26:32, pillars over laid with gold.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
(1) to shine, to be bright (Arabic صفى); Hence Piel No. 1.
(2) to look out, to view (prop. to enlighten with the eyes, comp. שָׁזַף, unless the primary idea be rather sought for in inclining, bending forward, in order to view; comp. הִשְׁקִיף. With this accord σκέπω, σκόπος, σκοπέω; and even in Lat. transp. specio, specto, specula, etc). Isaiah 21:5 see צָפִית. Used of a tower which has a wide view, Song of Solomon 7:5. Part. צוֹפֶה a watchman set on a tower, 1 Samuel 14:16; 2 Samuel 13:34, 18:24. Metaph. used of prophets, who, like watchmen, declare future events as being divinely revealed to them by visions, Jeremiah 6:17 Eze. 3:17 comp. Habakkuk 2:1 [Piel]. Hence
(a) to look out for. Hosea 9:8, צוֹפֶה אֶפְרַיִם “Ephraim looks out for (aid).”
(b) to observe accurately; followed by an acc., Proverbs 15:3, 31:27 followed by בְּ Psalms 66:7 followed by בֵּין (to see and judge between), Genesis 31:49.
(c) to lie in wait; followed by לְ Psalms 37:32.
(d) to select (auferfehen), i.q. רָאָה. Job 15:22, צָפוּ הוּא אֱלֵי חֶרֶב “selected (or destined) for the sword” (צָפוּ for צָפוּי).
(1) to overlay with gold or silver (pr. to make splendid; see Kal No. 1); followed by two acc., Exodus 25:24; 1 Kings 6:20, seqq.
(2) i.q. Kal No. 2, 1 Samuel 4:13 part. מְצַפֶּה a watchman, Isaiah 21:6 metaph. a prophet, Micah 7:4. Followed by אֶל of the thing which any one watches for and expects (as aid), Lamentations 4:17 בְּ Micah 7:7. Absol. Psalms 5:4, אֲצַפֶּה “I expect,” sc. divine aid, I look to God.
Pual, pass. of Piel No. 1, to be overlaid, Exodus 26:32; Proverbs 26:23.
Derivatives, צִפּוּי, צִפִּיָּה, צָפִית, מִצְפֶּה; and pr.n. צְפָת, צְפָתָה, צְפוֹ, צְפִי, צִפְיוֹן, מִצְפָּח.
צָפָה f. (from the root צוּף) a swimming, Ezekiel 32:6.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.