the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #2146 - זִכָּרוֹן
1) memorial, reminder, remembrance
V) rkz (זכר ZKR) - Remember: To remember in thought as a memorial or mention through speech. Also to act or speak on behalf of another. KJV (233): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil) remember, mention, remembrance, recorder, mindful, think, record - Strongs: H2142 (זָכַר)
Nm) rkz (זכר ZKR) - I. Memorial:A remembering and action based on a past even. II. Male:The one of the family that remembers and passes down the family history through story and family name. Also the one who acts and speaks for the family. III. Ram:The male member of the flock. [Aramaic only] [df: rkd] KJV (107): male, man, child, mankind, him, ram - Strongs: H1798 (דְּכַר), H2143 (זֶֶכֶר), H2145 (זָכָר)
dm ) rfkz (זכור ZKWR) - Male: The one of the family that remembers and passes down the family history through story and family name. Also the one who acts and speaks for the family. KJV (4): male, man - Strongs: H2138 (זָכוּר)
ejm) nfrkiz (זיכרונ ZYKRWN) - I. Memorial:A remembering and action based on a past even. II. Record:To remember something through documentation. [Hebrew and Aramaic] [df: Nwrkd Nrkd] KJV (27): memorial, remembrance, record - Strongs: H1799 (דִּכְרוֹן), H2146 (זִכָּרוֹן)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1 memorial, reminder:
a. memorial-day Exodus 12:14 (P).
b. memorial-usage Exodus 13:9 (JE).
c. memorial-objects, altar-plates Numbers 17:5 (P); stones in Jordan Joshua 4:7 (JE); crowns in temple Zechariah 6:14; ׳ז in Isaiah 57:8 is symbol of strange god (Di), or perhaps phallus-image, as sign of harlot (Che), compare > Du (who proposes זְכָרוֺן, from זָכָר).
d. memorial-record; in a book Exodus 17:14 (E); compare סֵפֶר זִכָּרוֺן Malachi 3:16, הַזִּכְרֹנות דברי הימים׳ס Esther 6:1; memorial, as proof of citizenship Nehemiah 2:20 ("" חֵלֶק, צְדָקָה); reminder of Israel, ׳לִפְנֵי י, of כֶּסֶף הַכִּמֻּרִים Exodus 30:16; spoils of war Numbers 31:54; inscribed stones of ephod Exodus 28:12,29, called ׳אַבְנֵי ז Exodus 28:12 = Exodus 39:7; blowing of trumpets Numbers 10:10 (foregoing all P), compare זִכְרוֺןתְּרוּעַה Leviticus 23:24 (H; where, however, no ׳לפני י, see Di); מִנְחַת (ה)זכרון Numbers 5:15,18 (P); memorial-sentence, apophthegm Job 13:12. **זִכְרֹנֵיכֶם מִשְׁלֵיֿאֵפֶר Job 13:12 your memorial words are ashen sayings (i.e. worthless), compare Bu Du; Margolis (privately) suggests that ᵐ5 seems to have read יִמָּשֵׁל לְאֵפֶר [? < רָנְּכֶם] רָנְיְכֶם your exultation shall be like ashes.
2 remembrance Ecclesiastes 1:11 (construct before preposition Ges§ 130, 1), Ecclesiastes 1:11; Ecclesiastes 2:16.
זִכָּרוֹן m. constr. זִכְרוֹן pl. ־ִים and וֹת.
(1) memory, remembrance, Joshua 4:7; Exodus 12:14; Ecclesiastes 1:11, 2:16. אַבְנֵי זִכָּרוֹן memorial stones, the name applied to the two gems in the shoulder bands with which the dress of the high priest was adorned, Exodus 28:12, 39:7. מִנְחַת זִכָּרוֹן a memorial offering, Numbers 5:15 שׂוּם זִכָּרוֹן to establish a memorial, namely by the procreation of children, Isaiah 57:8. [?]
(2) a memorial or memento, ὑπόμνημα (French mémoire). Exodus 17:14, כְּתֹב זאֹת זִכָּרוֹן בַּסֵּפֶר “write this a memorial (that which shall cause to be remembered) in a book.” סֵפֶר זִכָּרוֹן Malachi 3:16, and pl. סֵפֶר הַזִּכְרוֹנוֹת Esther 6:1, a book of memorials, annals, journals; comp. דָּכְרָן; a memorial sign, Exodus 13:9.
(3) the celebration of any particular day (comp. the verb, Esther 9:28; Exodus 20:8); Leviticus 23:24.
(4) i.q. מָשָׁל a memorial sentence, ἀπόφθεγμα, Job 13:12.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.