Consider helping today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #07167 - קָרַע
1) to tear, tear in pieces
1a1) to tear, rend
1a2) to tear away or out
1a3) to tear, rend asunder
1a3a) to make wide or large (of eyes)
1a3b) to rend open (of heavens)
1a4) to tear, rend (of wild beasts)
1b) (Niphal) to be rent, be split asunder
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
(1) to rend, to tear asunder, as garments; for sorrow, Genesis 37:29, 34 Genesis 37:34, 44:13 2 Samuel 13:31; 2 Kings 18:37 as a wild beast, the breast of any one, Hosea 13:8 God, the heaven, Isaiah 63:19. קָרַע עֵינַיִם בַּפּוּךְ Jeremiah 4:30, to rend the eyes with paint, by putting too much stibium on them (see כָּחַל, פּוּךְ ).
(2) to rend away, tear out, Leviticus 13:56; 1 Samuel 15:28, “Jehovah rendeth away the kingdom of Israel from thee;” 1 Samuel 28:17; 1 Kings 11:11.
(3) to cut in pieces (with a knife), Jeremiah 36:23.
(4) to cut out (windows in a wall), Jeremiah 22:14.
(5) to tear with words, to curse, Psalms 35:15 (Arab. قرع II., to blame, to rebuke. Compare נָקַב No. 1, 2, 3).
Niphal, pass., to be rent; used of garments, Exodus 28:32, 39:23 of a rent altar, 1 Kings 13:3, 1 Kings 13:5. Hence
the Sixth Week after Easter