Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #04931 - מִשְׁמֶרֶת
1) guard, charge, function, obligation, service, watch
1a) guard, watch, house of detention or confinement
1b) keeping, preserving
1c) charge, injunction
1d) office, function (ceremonial)
2853) rms (סהמר ShMR) AC: Guard CO: Brier AB: Custody: A close watching of something for guarding or protecting. Shepherds constructed corrals of briers at night to protect the flock from predators. [from: nx- from the thorns used in constructing a corral]
V) rms (סהמר ShMR) - Guard: To watch over or guard in the sense of preserving or protecting. KJV (468): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hitpael, Piel, Participle) keep, observe, heed, keeper, preserve, beware, mark, watchman, wait, watch, regard, save - Strongs: H8104 (שָׁמַר)
bm) rims (סהמיר ShMYR) - I. Brier:Used to construct a corral to protect the flock at night. II. Shamiyr:An unknown sharp stone such as flint or obsidian. KJV (11): brier, adamant, diamond - Strongs: H8068 (שָׁמִיר)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
מִשְׁמֶרֶת pl. מֻשְׁמָרוֹת, f. of the preceding.
(1) custody, guard.
(a) the act of guarding, 2 Kings 11:5, 2 Kings 11:6.
(b) a place where guards are set, a station, Isaiah 21:8; Habakkuk 2:1 also used of the guards or watchmen themselves, Nehemiah 7:3, 12:9 13:30.
(c) that which is guarded, 1 Samuel 22:23.
(2) a keeping, Exodus 12:6, 16:32, 33 Exodus 16:33, 34 Exodus 16:34.
(3) observance, or performance of an office or function, Numbers 4:27, 31, זאֹת מִשְׁמֶרֶת מַשָּׂאָם “this is the observance of their porterage,” these things are for them to carry; Numbers 3:31, מִשְׁמַרְתָּם הָאָרוֹן “their office (was) the ark.” Hence שָׁמַר מִשְׁמֶרֶת הַמִּשְׁכָּן Numbers 1:53, 31:30, 47 Numbers 31:47, or הַקֹּדֶשׁ 3:28 32:38, or יְהֹוָה Levit. 8:35, to do service in the holy tabernacle.
(4) that which is observed, a law, a rite, Genesis 26:5; Leviticus 18:30, 22:9 Deuteronomy 11:1; Joshua 22:3; 1 Kings 2:3; 2 Chronicles 13:11, 23:6 Zechariah 3:7; Malachi 3:14. Farther
(5) שָׁמַר מִשְׁמֶרֶת פּ׳ to keep on any one’s side, i.e. continually to follow his party, 1 Chronicles 12:29, מַרְבִּיתָם שֹׁמְרִים מִשְׁמֶרֶת בֵּית שָׁאוּל. Vulg. magna pars eorum adhuc sequebatur domum Saul.
the Fifth Week after Easter