the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #3672 - ὁμολογουμένως
- by consent of all, confessedly, without controversy
1. Adv., c. dat., conformably with, τοῖς εἰρημένοις X. Ap. 27: abs., Id. Oec. 1.11. in Stoic Philos., ὁ. ζῆν, with or without τῇ φύσει, Zeno Stoic. 1.45, Cleanth.ib.125, Chrysipp. ib.3.4.
2. by common consent, confessedly, admittedly, ὁ. μαχιμώτατοι Th. 6.90, cf. And. 1.140, Pl. Smp. 186b, Hyp. Lyc. 6, etc.; ὁ. ἀγαθοί, ὁ. ἄριστοι, Pl. La. 186b, Mx. 243c; ἡ ὁ. ἰητρική Hp. VM 5.
ὁμολογουμένως (ὁμολογέω), adverb, by consent of all, confessedly, without controversy: 1 Timothy 3:16. (4 Macc. 6:31; 7:16; 16:1; in secular authors from Thucydides, Xenophon,Plato down; with ἀοπ πάντων added, Isocrates paneg. § 33, where see Baiter's note.)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
** ὁμολογουμένως ,
(< ὁμ oλογέω ),
[in LXX: 4 Maccabees 6:31; 4 Maccabees 7:16; 4 Maccabees 16:1*;]
1. as agreed, conformably with.
2. confessedly, by common consent: 1 Timothy 3:16.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
For οὐρανός in the wide sense of ";sky,"; ";heaven,"; as opposed to γῆ, ";earth,"; cf. P Leid G.14 (B.C. 181–145) (= I. p. 42), a prayer to the gods that they would grant to Ptolemy Philometor and Berenice—κυριείαν τῶν [ὑ ]πὸ τὸν οὐρανὸν χώρω [ν, ";dominationem terrestrium regionum"; (Ed.), and the magic P Lond 121.261 (iii/A.D.) (= I. p. 93) πρὶν γενέσθε (l. γενέσθαι) οὐρανὸν ἢ γῆν ἢ θάλασσαν κτλ. The thought of a series of heavens, as in 2 Corinthians 12:2, may be illustrated from PSI I. 29.2 ff. (iv/A.D.?) ἐπικαλοῦμέ (= αί) σ ̣ε ̣ τὸν καθήμενον ἐν τῷ πρώτῳ οὐρανῷ. . . ἐν τῷ β ̄ οὐρανῷ. . . ἐν τῷ γ ̄ οὐρανῷ κτλ. P Heid 6.8 (iv/A.D.) (= Selections, p. 126) πιστεύομεν γὰρ τὴν πολιτία [ν σ ]ου ἐνν οὐρανῷ is evidently a reminiscence of Philippians 3:20. On the use of the plur. οὐρανοί in the NT, see Blass Gr, p. 83, and the statistics in Hawkins Hor. Syn..2 p. 52 f. A new subst. οὐρανουσία occurs in P Lond 121.831 (iii/A.D.) (= I. p. 110).
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.