the Week of Proper 4 / Ordinary 9
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #3311 - μερισμός
- a division, partition
- distribution (of various kinds)
- a separation
- so far as to cleave asunder or separate
1. dividing, division, Pl. Lg. 903b, Thphr. CP 1.12.6, etc.; ὁ τῶν θεῶν ἔσχατος μ. ἄχρι τῆς ὕλης προῆλθεν Dam. Pr. 134; esp. apportionment, allocation of funds, Arist. Ath. 48.2; distribution of money, SIG 364.81 (Ephesus, iii B. C.); of victims, ib.1017.16 (Sinope, iii B. C.); οὐκ ἔνεστιν οὐδὲ εἷς παρ' ἐμοὶ μ., 'going shares', Men. Epit. 244.
2. partition, τῆς Ἀκαρνανίας Plb. 9.34.7.
3. share of taxation, assessment, PTeb. 58.38 (ii B. C.), 29.15 (ii B. C.), Ostr.Bodl. ii 18, 41 (ii A. D.).
4. role, part assigned, in a religious ceremony, IG 22.1368.65 (ii A. D.).
5. kind of gymnastic, Gal. Thras. 47.
1. Rhet., division of subjects, arrangement, in writing, D.H. Isaiah 3:1-26 (pl.). the art of dividing a whole into its parts, Hermog. Id. 2.1.
2. in Logic, assignment of the elements of a contradiction, Arist. Metaph. 1027b20. definition, D.L. 7.62.
3. in Gramm., classification of parts of speech, A.D. Synt. 23.8 (hence, concretely, class, ib. 48.9, 109.4); distribution of the functions of inflexions, opp. σύγχυσις, ib. 95.17. analysis of a sentence into its component parts, parsing, ib. 140.11, Sch.D.T. p.214 H.; cf. ἐπιμερισμός.
4. in Metric, ὁ μ. ὁ τῶν μέτρων division into feet, scansion, S.E. M. 1.159; also ὁ κατὰ γραμματικὴν μ. division of a line into words, ib. 161.
5. Math., quotient, Dioph. 4.22.
μερισμός, μερισμοῦ, ὁ (μερίζω), a division, partition (Plato, Polybius, Strabo, (others));
1. a distribution; plural distributions of various kinds: πνεύματος ἁγίου, genitive of the object, Hebrews 2:4.
2. a separation: ἄχρι μερισμοῦ ψυχῆς καί πνεύματος, which many take actively: 'up to the dividing' i. e. so far as to cleave asunder or separate; but it is not easy to understand what the dividing of the 'soul' is. Hence, it is more correct, I think, and more in accordance with the context, to take the word passively (just as other verbal substantive ending in μος are used, e. g. ἁγιασμός, πειρασμός), and translate even to the division, etc., i. e. to that most hidden spot, the dividing line between soul and spirit, where the one passes into the other, Hebrews 4:12; (cf. Siegfried, Philo von Alex. as above with, p. 325f).
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
μερισμός , -οῦ , ὁ
(< μερίζω ),
[in LXX for H4255, H4256, Joshua 11:23, Ezra 6:18 *;]
1. a dividing, division: ψυχῆς κ . πνεύματος (i.e. between them or of the things themselves, v. Westc., in l), Hebrews 4:12.
2. a distribution, bestowal (cf. μερίζω , 2); pl., Hebrews 2:4.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
CPR I. 1.6 (A.D. 83–84) τοῦ Ἀκουσιλάου γενομένου μισθωτοῦ τινων οὐσίων, Syll 587.29 (B.C. 329–8) μισθωτοῖς τοῖς ἐπὶ τὸν πύργον καὶ τὸν πυλῶνα πλινθοφοροῦσιν (";carrying bricks";) καὶ πηλοδευστοῦσιν (";building with clay";). For μισθωτής, ";lessee,"; ";tenant,"; which is not found in the NT (but see 1 Maccabees 6:29), cf. P Tebt II. 308.4 (A.D. 174) μισθωτα [ῖ ]ς δρυμῶν, ";lessees of marshes"; (Edd.), P Lond 478.2 (ii/iii A.D.) (=II. p. III) τοῖς λοι (ποῖς) μισ ̣θ ̣ω ̣τ ̣α ̣ι ̣ͅς ̣ ἱερ (οῦ) χει (ρισμοῦ) (cf. Archiv i. p. 140), and PSI III. 222.4 (iii/A.D.) μισ ]θωτοῦ ἀγρίων θήρας ζῴων [κ ]αὶ ὀρνέων (see the editor’s introd.).
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.