the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click here to join the effort!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #2871 - κοπή
- the act of cutting, a cut
- a cutting in pieces, slaughter
1. cutting, χόρτος εἰς κοπὴν καὶ ἐπινομήν POxy. 499.15 (ii A. D.).
2. cutting in pieces, slaughter, LXX John 10:20, Hebrews 7:1.
3. κ. τριχός, tax levied on γερδιοραβδισταί, PAmh. 2.119.4 (200 A. D.), cf. PFay. 58.7 (ii A. D.).
4. breaking up, [ νεφῶν ] Arist. Mu. 394a34.
5. pounding in a mortar, Alex.Aphr. Pr. 1.67.
6. dressing of stone, CPHerm. 127 (iii A. D.).
7. striking, minting, νομίσματος Inscr.Délos 461 Aa 76 (ii B. C.).
8. divorce, Aq. De. 24.3 (1).
II = cross κόπος 11, φλοίσβου μετὰ κοπήν S. Fr. 479 codd. Eust. (sed leg. κόπον).
κοπή, κοπῆς, ἡ (κόπτω);
1. properly, several times in Greek writings the act of cutting, a cut.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
κοπή , -ῆς , ἡ
(< κόπτω ),
1. in cl., a stroke, a pounding (as in a mortar).
2. In LXX, a smiting in battle: Hebrews 7:1 (LXX).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
κοπή is common in the papyri = ";cutting,"; e.g. P Oxy II. 280.17 (A.D. 88–9) τὸ μὲν ἥμισυ εἰς ἄρωσιν τὸ δὲ ἕτερον ἥμισυ εἰς κοπήν, ";the half for ploughing, the other half for cutting,"; ib. III. 499.15 (A.D. 121) χόρτον εἰς κοπὴν καὶ ἐπινομήν, ";grass for cutting and grazing."; In P Rev Lxiv. 5 (B.C. 259) οἱ κοπεῖς are the men who cut the crop in an oil-factory—a new sense of the word. See also s.v. θρίξ, and for the impost called κοπὴ τριχός cf. P Tebt II. p. 96. In a curious medical questionnaire, certainly later than ii/A.D., we find—τί ἐστιν κ [οπή ]; [ἡ τῶν ] σωμάτων τομή (see Archiv ii. p. 1 ff.).
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.