free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2471 - ἰσότης
- equity, fairness, what is equitable
ἰσότης, ητος, ἡ, (ἴσος)
1. equality, Arist. Metaph. 1054b3, etc.: in pl., Pl. Lg. 733b; ἰ. χρόνου Id. Prm. 140e: Math., ἰ. γεωμετρική equality of ratios, proportion, Id. Grg. 508a; ἀναλογία ἰ. λόγων Arist. EN 1131a31.
2. esp. political equality or justice, personified in E. Ph. 536, cf. Pl. Lg. 757a; ἰ. πολιτική Plb. 6.8.4, etc.: in dual, Pl. Lg. 757b, cf. Arist. Pol. 1302a7, Isoc. 7.21.
II fair dealing, impartiality, Men. Mon. 259, Plb. 2.38.8, Colossians 4:1.
III equiformity, of the earth, Epicur. Nat. 11.10. (On the accent v. Hdn.Gr. 1.83, 2.945; ἰσοτής is said to be Hellenistic by Moer. 202.)
ἰσότης , -ητος , ἡ
(< ἴσος ),
[in LXX: Job 36:30, Zechariah 4:7 *;]
1. equality: 2 Corinthians 8:13-14.
2. equity, fairness: τὸ δίκαιον κ . τὴν ἰ ., Colossians 4:1 (for distinction bet. τὸ δ . and ἡ ἰ , v. ICC, in l).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
The sense of ";fairness,"; ";fair dealing,"; into which this word passes in Colossians 4:1, may be illustrated by Menander Μονόστ. 259 ἰσότητα τίμα καὶ πλεονέκτει μηδένα. See also Vett. Val. p. 332.34 ἰσότητας ποιεῖν, and for the verb ἰσόω in its literal sense cf. P Oxy XIV. 1674.7 (iii/A.D.) καὶ ἰσοθήτω τὸ πᾶν τοῦ κεχωσμένου, ";and let the whole of the bank be levelled.";
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Second Week after Epiphany