Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2326 - θερισμός
- harvest, the act of reaping
- fig. of the gathering of men into the kingdom of God
- referring to time of reaping, the final judgment, when the righteous are gathered into the kingdom of God and the wicked are cast into hell for ever
I mowing, reaping, X. Oec. 18.3, PHib. 1.90.5 (iii B.C.), PFlor. 101.4 (i A.D.).
1. reaping-time, harvest, Eup. 202, Plb. 5.95.5, Matthew 13:30, al.
2. harvest, crop, LXX Leviticus 19:9, Matthew 9:37.
θερισμός , -οῦ , ὁ
(< θερίζω ),
[in LXX chiefly for H7105;]
(a) the act: John 4:35;
(b) the time: fig., Matthew 13:30; Matthew 13:39, Mark 4:29
(c) the crop: fig., Matthew 9:37-38, Luke 10:2, Revelation 14:15.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
P Lille I. 1 verso.9 (B.C. 259–8) ἐὰν δὲ μὴ πρὸ τοῦ θερισμοῦ συντελῆται, P Hib I. 90.5 (B.C. 222) ἐμίσθωσεν εἰς ἐνιαυτὸν [ἕνα σ ]πόρον ἕνα (deleted in pap.) καί θερισμόν, a lease ";for one year, for one seed-time and harvest,"; BGU II. 594.5 (A.D. 70–80) μετὰ τὸν θερισμὸ [ν ἐργολ ]αβήσομα [ι, and P Flor I. 80.13 (i/ii A.D.) ἀρξόμεθα δὲ τ [οῦ ] θερισμ [ο ]ῦ ὁ [πό ]τε ἐὰν κελ ̣ευσθῶμεν ὑπό σου. See also τὰ θέριστρα with reference to harvesting operations in P Oxy II. 277.8 (B.C. 19).
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Week of Proper 14 / Ordinary 19