Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2223 - ζώνη
- a girdle, belt, serving not only to gird on flowing garments but also, since it was hollow, to carry money in
belt, girdle: I prop. the lower girdle worn by women just above the hips, περὶ δὲ ζώνην βάλετ' ἰξυῖ Od. 5.231, 10.544, cf. Il. 14.181, Hdt. 1.51, etc. —
1 λῦσε δὲ παρθενίην ζ. unloosed her maiden girdle, of the bridegroom, Od. 11.245, cf. Lyr. Alex.Adesp. 11.18, Plu. Lyc. 15: — Med., of the bride, μούνῳ ἑνὶ ζώναν ἀνέρι λυσαμένα AP 7.324 (hence ζώνη, abs., of marriage, E. IT 204 (lyr.); of sexual intercourse, Philostr. VA 7.6): but also, ζ. λῦσαι to loose the girdle for childbirth, Hyp. Fr. 67; later λύσασθαι or ἀπολύσασθαι, Call. Del. 209, Opp. C. 3.56; so ζώναν κατατίθεσθαι Pi. O. 6.39. of men on a march, ζ. λύσασθαι to slacken one's belt, i.e. rest oneself, Hdt. 8.120; ζ. ἀναλύεσθαι Call. Del. 237.
2. of pregnant women, τέκνων ἤνεγχ' ὑπὸ ζώνην βάρος A. Ch. 1000; πῶς γάρ σ' ἔθρεψεν ἐντὸς.. ζώνης; Id. Eu. 608; τοῦτον.. ἔφερον ζώνης ὕπο E. Hec. 762; also ὑπὸ ζώνῃ θέσθαι to conceive, h.Ven. 255.
3. prov., εἰς ζώνην δεδόσθαι to be given for girdle-money (as we should say, pinmoney), of Oriental queens who had cities given them for their small expenses, X. An. 1.4.9; ἣν [χώραν] καλεῖν.. ζ. τῆς βασιλέως γυναικός Pl. Alc. 1.123b. II
1. man's belt (more freq. ζωστήρ), ἡ ζ. τοῦ Ὠρίωνος the three stars that form the belt of Orion. Arist. Mete. 343b24; the belt of barbarians, in which they wore the dagger, X. An. 1.6.10, 4.7.16, Theopomp.Hist. 39a, Luc. Anach. 33, Pl. Hp.Mi. 368c. belt used as a purse, PRyl. 127.32 (i A.D.), Matthew 10:9, Plu. 2.665b; ζ. χρυσίον Luc. Fug. 31.
2. part round which the girdle passed, waist, Ἄρεϊ ζώνην ἴκελος Il. 2.479 (misunderstood by Paus. 9.17.3), cf. Il. 11.234, Orph. Fr. 168.28, Hp. ap. Erot. (also expld. as = ὀσφύς).
3. = Lat. cingulum, belt worn by Roman civil and military officers, [ Demod. ] 5; = ἀξίωμα, Suid.; οἱ ὑπὸ ζώνην soldiers, Anon. ap. eund.s.v. αὐθεντήσαντα, cf. Cod.Just. 188.8.131.52, 11, Just. Edict. 13.26, PLond. 5.1680.21 (vi A.D.).
1. anything that goes round like a belt, Plu. 2.935a, Luc. Musc.Enc. 3; of the girdle of ocean, Porph. Chr. 69.
2. one of the zones of the terrestrial sphere, Stoic. 2.195, Posidon. ap. Str. 2.2.2, Placit. 2.12.1 (pl.), etc.; ζ. διακεκαυμένη, εὔκρατος, Str. 1.2.24, 1.4.6. one of the planetary spheres, οἱ μὲν [τῶν πλανητῶν] ὑψηλὴν ζ. φέρονται οἱ δὲ ταπεινήν Diog.Oen. 8, cf. Vett.Val. 26.18, Corp.Herm. 1.25. Astrol.,= ζῴδιον, Porph. in Ptol. 186.
3. in Archit.,= διάζωμα, frieze, Paus. 5.10.5.
4. Lat. zona, in Medic., shingles, Scrib.Larg. 63, 247; cf. ζωστήρ 111.3.
5. stripes on fish, Ael. NA 3.28,al. pl., an order of divine beings presiding over, or engirdled with cosmic zones, opp. ἄζωνοι, Dam. Pr. 96, Procl. in Prm. p.494S.
ζώνη , -ης , ἡ
a belt, girdle: Matthew 3:4, Mark 1:6, Acts 21:11, Revelation 1:13; Revelation 15:6; as a receptacle for money, Matthew 10:9, Mark 6:8.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
P Petr I. 14.12 (B.C. 237) τὴν ζώνην θωρακίτ [ου, ";the girdle of a corslet-armed soldier"; (Ed.). In P Oxy III. 496.4, a marriage contract of A.D. 127, the dowry of the bride includes ζώνας δύο σανδυκίνη ̣ν ̣ ῥοδίνην, ";2 girdles, one red, the other rose-coloured"; (Edd.) : cf. ib. I. 109.11 (iii/iv A.D.) ζῶναι β ̄, in a list of personal property. With the use of the ζώνη for carrying money, as in Mark 6:8, cf. P Ryl II. 127.82 (A.D. 29) ζώνη ἐν ᾖ κέρματ (ος) (δραχμαὶ) δ ̄, and ib. 141.22 (A.D. 37), where a man states that he has been robbed of ἀργ (υρίου) (δραχμὰς) μ ̄ καὶ ζώνην. In the Leucadian epigram, Kaibel 482.3, it is said of a man whom a storm prevented from setting out on a voyage—ἀπέδησε τὴν ζώνην ἑαυτοῦ, i.e. ";he loosed his girdle,"; he did not set out. MGr ζουναριά.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Week of Proper 14 / Ordinary 19