Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #1465 - ἐγκόπτω
- to cut into, to impede one's course by cutting off his way
1. knock in, πάτταλον Thphr. HP 2.7.6; χιλίας (i.e. πληγὰς) ἐς τὸ νῶτον ἐγκόψαι Herod. 5.33.
2. engrave, τὸ ψήφισμα ἐς στήλην SIG 279.33 (Zelea): — Med., IG 12(3).536 (Thera).
3. incise, Dsc. Eup. 1.141 (Pass.).
II oppose, Hp. Praec. 13; λόγον λόγῳ Olymp. in Mete. 125.9.
III check, hold the breath, Sor. 1.69: generally, hinder, thwart, τισί Sammelb. 4305; τῇ δικαιοδοσίᾳ f.l. in Plb. 23.1.12; delay, Acts 24:4 : — Pass., ἐνεκοπτόμην τοῦ ἐλθεῖν Romans 15:22, cf. Porph. Antr. 19. intr., come to a stop, Vett. Val. 260.24.
ἐγκόπτω (in Acts T WH ἐνκόπτω, so T in 1 Pet. where R ἐκκόπτω; see ἐν, III. 3); 1 aorist ἐνεκοψα; passive (present ἐγκόπτομαι; imperfect ἐνεκοπτόμην; to cut into, to impede one's course by cutting off his way; hence, universally, to hinder (Hesychius: ἐμποδίζω, διακωλύω); with the dative of the object, Polybius 24, 1, 12; in the N. T. with the accusative of the object, 1 Thessalonians 2:18; followed by an infinitive, Galatians 5:7 (see ἀνακόπτω); an infinitive preceded by τοῦ, Romans 15:22; εἰς τό μή ἐγκόπτεσθαι τάς προσευχάς ὑμῶν, that ye be not hindered from praying (together), 1 Peter 3:7; equivalent to to detain (A. V. to be tedious unto) one, Acts 24:4 (cf. Valcken. Schol. 1:600f).
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
* ἐν -κόπτω
(Rec. ἐγκ -, see ἐν ; and in 1Pe, l.c., ἐκκ -);
1. to cut into (as in breaking up a road), hence,
2. to hinder: c. acc, Acts 24:4, 1 Thessalonians 2:18; c. inf., Galatians 5:7; seq. τοῦ , c. inf., Romans 15:22; εἰς τό , c. inf., 1 Peter 3:7.†
ἐγ -κόπτω , see ἐνκ -.
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.