Click to donate today!
The 1901 Jewish Encyclopedia
A place referred to in the Gospels, and probably also in the Talmud, under the forms , and , but not mentioned in the Old Testament (Pes. 53a; Tosef., Shebi'it, ed. Zuckermandel, 30, 71). According to John (11:18), it was "nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off"; according to Jerome ("Onomasticon," ), "in secundo ab Ãlia milliario" (at the second mile-post from Jerusalem). This is the site of the village El-Azariyeh on the southeastern slopes of the Mount of Olives. The identification is established by the name "El-Azariyah," which is the Arabic form for "Lazarium," as Bethany was sometimes called by the Christians. The village, with its olive-, fig-, almond-, and carob-trees, is a little oasis in that barren region. The figs (Hebr., "te'enah"), which are also mentioned in the Talmud, probably gave the place its name.
These files are public domain.
Singer, Isidore, Ph.D, Projector and Managing Editor. Entry for 'Bethany'. 1901 The Jewish Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tje/b/bethany.html. 1901.