Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
The 1901 Jewish Encyclopedia
A small district of Syria on the eastern slope of Anti-Libanus. It was so called from the town of Abila, on the northern declivity of Mt.Hermon, about eighteen miles northwest of Damascus. The district was given as a tetrarchy to Lysanias by the emperor Tiberius about 26 B.C. (see Luke, 3:1), and was bestowed upon Herod Agrippa by Claudius about 41 (Josephus, "Ant." 19:51). Abila, called "Abila of Lysanias," to distinguish it from other places of the same name, was thought to be the burial-place of Abel, owing to the similarity of the names.
These files are public domain.
Singer, Isidore, Ph.D, Projector and Managing Editor. Entry for 'Abila'. 1901 The Jewish Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tje/a/abila.html. 1901.