Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) The King James Version "Jeshuah," head of the 9th course of priests, and possibly of "the house of Jeshua" (1 Chronicles 24:11; Ezra 2:36; Nehemiah 7:39 ).
(3) Son of Jozadak = Joshua the high priest (Ezra 2:2; Ezra 3:2 , Ezra 3:8; Ezra 4:3; Ezra 5:2; Ezra 10:18; Nehemiah 7:7; Nehemiah 12:1 , Nehemiah 12:7 , Nehemiah 12:10 , Nehemiah 12:26 ); see
(4) A man of Pahath-moab, some of whose descendants returned from Babylon to Jerusalem with Zerubbabel (Ezra 2:6; Nehemiah 7:11 ) = "Jesus" (1 Esdras 5:48).
(5) Head of a Levitical house which had oversight of the workmen in the temple (Ezra 2:40; Ezra 3:9; Nehemiah 7:43 ). He is mentioned again in Nehemiah 8:7 as taking part in explaining the Torah to the people, in Nehemiah 9:4 f (compare Nehemiah 12:8 ) as leading in the worship, and in Nehemiah 10:9 (Hebrew 10) as sealing the covenant; this Jeshua is called son of Azaniah ( Nehemiah 10:9 ). To these references should be added probably Nehemiah 12:24 , where commentators read, "Jeshua, Binnui, Kadmiel" for "Jeshua the son of Kadmiel." Perhaps Jozabad (Ezra 8:33 ) is a "son" of this same Jeshua; compare Ezra 8:33 = 1 Esdras 8:63, where the King James Version is "Jesu," the Revised Version (British and American) "Jesus." He is the same as Jessue (the King James Version), Jesus (Revised Version) (1 Esdras 5:26).
(6) Father of Ezer, a repairer of the wall (Nehemiah 3:19 ).
These files are public domain and were generously provided by the folks at WordSearch Software.
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. Entry for 'Jeshua; Jeshuah'. International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/isb/j/jeshua-jeshuah.html. 1915.