Click to donate today!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. Father of Benaiah one of David's officers. 2 Samuel 8:18; 1 Kings 1:8-44 , etc. In 1 Chronicles 27:5 he is called 'a chief priest,' which makes it possible that he is the same person as No. 3; but in the margin he is called 'principal officer.'
2. High priest during the usurpation of Athaliah. He preserved the life of Joash, the infant son of Ahaziah, and succeeded, with wisdom and energy, in placing him on the throne, and then caused the death of Athaliah. It is recorded that Joash did that which was right in the sight of the Lord all the days of Jehoiada; but on the death of the priest, the king forgot his kindness and slew Zechariah his son. 2 Kings 11:4-17; 2 Kings 12:2,7,9; 2 Chronicles 22:11; 2 Chronicles 23:1-18; 2 Chronicles 24:2-25 .
3. Leader of the Aaronites (or 'prince of Aaron') who resorted to David at Hebron. 1 Chronicles 12:27 .
4. Son of Benaiah and one of David's counsellors. 1 Chronicles 27:34 .
5. Son of Paseah: he repaired the 'old gate ' of Jerusalem. Nehemiah 3:6 .
6. Priest mentioned by the false prophet Shemaiah in his letters against Jeremiah. Jeremiah 29:26 .
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Jehoiada'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/mbd/j/jehoiada.html. 1897.