the Week of Proper 19 / Ordinary 24
Omniscience of God
Charles Buck Theological Dictionary
Is that perfection by which he knows all things, and is,
1. Infinite knowledge, Ps. cxivi. 5.
2. Eternal, generally called foreknowledge, Acts 15:18 . Isaiah 46:10 . Ephesians 1:4 . Acts 2:23 .
3. Universal, extending to all persons, times, places, and things, Hebrews 4:13 . Psalms 50:10 . &c.
4. perfect, relating to what is past, present, and to come. He knows all by his own essence, and not derived from any other; not successively, as we do, but independently, distinctly, infallibly, and perpetually, Jeremiah 10:6-7 . Romans 11:1-36 .
5. This knowledge is peculiar to himself, Mark 13:32 . Job 36:4 . and not communicable to any creature.
6. It is incomprehensible to us how God knows all things, yet it is evident that he does; for to suppose otherwise is to suppose him an imperfect being, and directly contrary to the revelation he has given of himself, 1 John 3:20 . Job 28:24 . Job 21:22 .
See Charnock's Works, vol. 1: p. 271; Abernethy's Sermons, vol. 1: p. 290, 306; Howe's Works, vol. 1: p. 102, 103; Gill's Div. vol. 1: p. 85. oct.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Buck, Charles. Entry for 'Omniscience of God'. Charles Buck Theological Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/​dictionaries/​eng/​cbd/​o/omniscience-of-god.html. 1802.