the Fifth Week of Lent
F.B. Meyer's 'Through the Bible' Commentary Meyer's Commentary
by Frederick Brotherton Meyer
Outline of the Epistle to Titus
The Work of the Ministry
Salutation, Titus 1:1-4
1. The Character of a Bishop , Titus 1:5-10
2. Those Who Need Reproof , Titus 1:11-16
3. Training the Church to Be Zealous of Good Works , Titus 2:1-15
4. The Christian Motive , Titus 3:1-11
5. Personal Matters , Titus 3:12-14
Conclusion, Titus 3:15
We know very little of Titus. Though never mentioned in the Acts, he seems to have been one of the most trusted and best beloved members of the noble little band of Paul’s friends and disciples. As he was a Greek by birth, Paul took him to Jerusalem on that memorable visit referred to in Galatians 2:3 . The bond between them was very close, Titus 1:4 . Titus was sent three times to Corinth on special embassies, during the troubles of that distracted church, 2 Corinthians 7:1-16 ; 2 Corinthians 8:1-24 . The last mention of him is in connection with the visit to Dalmatia, during Paul’s second imprisonment, 2 Timothy 4:10 .
This Epistle guides Titus in the right ordering of the churches in Crete, which may have owed their foundation to the Cretan Jews, who are mentioned as having heard Peter’s pentecostal sermon. Paul had evidently visited the island himself, but had been obliged to leave the consolidation of the work with his friend, Titus 1:5 . The Epistle was warmly admired by Luther, who says: “This is a short Epistle, but it contains such a quintessence of Christian doctrine, and is composed in such a masterly manner, that it contains all that is needful for Christian knowledge and life.”
e-Sword Note: The following material was presented at the end of Titus in the printed edition
Review Questions on the Epistle to Titus
( a ) What is the theme of this Epistle?
( b ) In which chapter is the theme moat prominent?
( c ) What facts regarding Titus come to light in the Pauline Epistles?
( d ) Where was Titus when he received this Epistle? With what purpose was it written?
( e ) What is Luther’s testimony to this Epistle?
Each question applies to the paragraph of corresponding number in the Comments .
1. Why had Paul left Titus in Crete?
2. What is the true test of the knowledge of God?
3. How may Christians disarm their enemies?
4. What were the Apostle’s instructions to servants?
5. What is the one basis of salvation?
6. What is the one fruit of salvation? What are some of the personal references in the concluding paragraph?