Click to donate today!
1-22. The prophet continues his lament. The impending doom.
2. A lodging place, etc.] a caravanserai (khan), supplying a bare shelter, even the most desolate spot, if he may thereby escape the crimes of Jerusalem.
7. Melt.. try] i.e. remove the dross, and test whether the metal is now pure.
8. His wait] RV ’wait for him.’
10. Habitations] RV ’pastures.’
11. Dragons] RV ’jackals’; so in Jeremiah 49:33.
12. For what, etc.] rather (with RV), a new question, ’Wherefore is?’ etc. Why this heavy chastisement?
17. Mourning women] professionals, who with dishevelled locks and bared breasts led the loud weeping. Cunning] skilful.
23, 24. The people have been trusting in worldly wisdom, power, and riches; but the only sure trust is in knowing the will of God, who Himself acts righteously, and desires that men should do the same.
25. Them which are circumcised, with the uncircumcised] RV ’Them which are circumcised in their uncircumcision.’ They are circumcised in the flesh, but uncircumcised in spirit: cp. Deuteronomy 10:16; Romans 2:28, Romans 2:29. Judah is become as the other nations which observe the outward rite, but have not the spirit of which it is the symbol.
26. That are in the utmost corners] RV ’that have the corners of their hair polled’: cp. Leviticus 19:27. The reference is to the tribes of Kedar: see Jeremiah 49:28, Jeremiah 49:32.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Jeremiah 9". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 15 / Ordinary 20