Click to donate today!
1-9. The universal corruption of the city prevents forgiveness.
2. Though they say, The Lord liveth] i.e. though they take the most solemn form of oath, as opposed to those held by the Jews to be of less obligation: cp. Matthew 5:34, Matthew 5:35.
3 The truth] RM ’faithfulness.’ It is this that God looks for.
4. These are poor, etc.] i.e. the ignorant ones who know no better.
5. Yoke.. bonds] i.e. restraints of God’s law.
6. Lion] i.e. the invader: cp. Matthew 4:7. Evenings] RM ’deserts.’
7-8. All idolatry was unfaithfulness to God, to whom Israel was espoused, but gross licentiousness was literally the common accompaniment of the worship of the reproductive powers of nature, such as was practised by the Canaanites.
8. In the morning] RM ’roaming at large.’
10-31. In spite of fancied security desolation is at hand in requital for rébellion and faithlessness.
10. Jerusalem is likened to a walled
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Jeremiah 5". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26