Click to donate today!
Events Connected with the Collection of Jeremiah’s Prophecies into a Volume (4th and 5th years of Jehoiakim)
The prophecies concerning Israel and Judah are now ended, and we have here the record of the embodying in a permanent form by Jeremiah of the substance of these prophecies. For further remarks see Intro.
2. A roll of a book] Several skins were stitched together and attached to a roller of wood. The writing was arranged in columns parallel to the roller, so that as the parchment was gradually unfolded the successive columns could be read.
4. Baruch] the prophet’s companion and assistant already mentioned (Jeremiah 32:12.).
5. Shut up] not meaning imprisoned (with which Jeremiah 36:19 would be inconsistent), but hindered perhaps by the extreme unpopularity of his recent utterances.
9. In the ninth month] our December. It was thus a specially appointed fast, not that of the seventh month which alone was prescribed by the Law (Leviticus 16:29; Leviticus 23:27).
10. Gemariah] he was brother of Ahikam (see Jeremiah 26:24), who was friendly to Jeremiah and distinct from Gemariah of Jeremiah 29:3.
11. When Michaiah.. had heard] As it was in the chamber of Michaiah’s father that Baruch had been allowed to read the roll, Gemariah, who was engaged at a council of the leading men in another room, would naturally be desirous to learn as soon as might be what had occurred.
12. Went down] see on Jeremiah 22:1. Elnathan] mentioned in Jeremiah 26:22.
15. Sit down] Baruch was invited to take the position ordinarily assumed by an Eastern teacher. This together with Jeremiah 36:19 shows that the princes were favourably disposed towards Jeremiah.
17. How didst thou write, etc.] They desired to know how much was Baruch’s own that they might be able to state to the king the amount of responsibility that rested upon each.
22. The winter-house] a separate portion of the palace, as appears from Amos 3:15. On the hearth] RV ’in the brasier’: so in Jeremiah 36:23. Braziers containing charcoal were placed in a depression in the middle of a room for warming purposes.
23. Leaves] RM ’columns’: see on Jeremiah 36:2. He] i.e. the king.
24. They were not afraid.. neither the king, etc.] Contrast with this the conduct of the king’s father Josiah when the newly discovered Book of the Law was read to him (2 Kings 22:11).
29. Shall certainly come, etc.] fulfilled in the time of Jehoiakim’s son, Jehoiachin, and finally when Zedekiah was carried captive.
30. He shall have none to sit, etc.] for his son was carried captive in three months from his accession: cp. Jeremiah 22:30. His dead body, etc.] see on Jeremiah 22:19.
32. The substance of the second roll is doubtless to a large extent preserved to us in this book.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Jeremiah 36". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Fifth Week after Easter