Consider helping today!
Another Indictment of Jerusalem
The various religious and social evils that prevail in the city are recited (Ezekiel 22:1-11). Their coming punishment is then predicted, first in direct terms (Ezekiel 22:13-16), and next under the figure of a smelting furnace (Ezekiel 22:17-22). Lastly, all classes in Jerusalem, prophets, priests, princes, and people, are included in the general condemnation (Ezekiel 22:23-31).
2. The bloody city] referring to those unjustly put to death by the wicked rulers of Jerusalem: so in Ezekiel 22:3, Ezekiel 22:6, Ezekiel 22:12, Ezekiel 22:27 see also Ezekiel 11:6.
5. Much vexed] RV ’full of tumult.’
6. To their power] RV ’according to his power.’
13. I have smitten mine hand] God’s gesture of indignation.
16. Take thine inheritance] RV ’be profaned.’
18. Dross] the baser metals from which silver has to be purified.
19-22. Jerusalem will be heated like a furnace for smelting silver, and all that it contains will be melted in the fire of God’s wrath. Though silver is mentioned in Ezekiel 22:20, Ezekiel 22:22, it is not suggested that any of the precious metal will be left after the refining process. The whole nation is ’dross.’
24. Not rained upon] not blessed with fertilising showers.
28, 30. The same figures as in Ezekiel 13:5, Ezekiel 13:10-15.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Ezekiel 22". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Fifth Week after Epiphany