Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Ziba, Shimei, and Ahithophel
David, during his flight, is assisted by Ziba, but is cursed by Shimei. The cause of Absalom is promoted by the wise counsel of Ahithophel.
1. An hundred of summer fruits] a hundred cakes into which summer fruits were compressed.
2. With true Oriental deference he does not venture to say they are for the king’s own use,
8. All the blood of the house of Saul] The reference is probably to the incident recorded in 2 Samuel 21:1-14.
11. The lord hath bidden him] David recognised that all his misfortunes were the consequence of his sin. The Lord had punished him through his own son, whom he had forgiven and restored. Why not also through Shimei?
14. Came weary] RM ’came to Ayephim.’
23. Enquired at the oracle of God] i.e. consulted God by means of the Urim and Thummim.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on 2 Samuel 16". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 22 / Ordinary 27